Views: 2976|Replies: 5

I need your HELP, dear FOREIGN friends! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-28 10:31:28 |Display all floors
Dear foreign friends,
     Would your please help me with my questionaire which is the important part of my thesis? I need it urgently. I need native's real responses. Thank you for your help!

Questionnaire

This is a questionnaire about criticism. Suppose the following situation is real, please write down your real utterance. Thank you.
Nationality:                       Sex:                        Age:
Education:                                   Occupation:

1.  Today because of heavy task, you are busy working. But colleague Tom is singing loudly beside you and it really bothers you much.
a)        You will say to him:

b)         Say nothing.
2.        Your friend Mary enjoys your favorite photos. She carelessly dirties the photos with ink, and doesn’t say “sorry”..  
a)        You will say to her:

Say nothing.

3   In a mall, you try on several clothes, but none of them is suitable. The assistant is impatient. She complains about your nit-picking, even asks if you have much money to buy the expensive clothes.
b)        You will say to her:

c)        Say nothing.
4        You go to the post office to post your letter. The officer is chatting on the telephone with his friend for a long time and doesn’t pay attention to your “ hello”. Then serve you coldly.
d)        You will say to him:

e)        Say nothing.
5        Before a ticket office many people stand in a line and wait, but an old woman jumps the line.

b)        Say nothing.
6        In the park on Sunday morning, while exercising, you see an old man throwing the garbage randomly.
a)        You will say to him:

b)  Say nothing.
7.  Dad has coughed severely, but he keeps smoking,
a)  You will say to him:

b)        Say nothing.
8.        The manager borrows your floppy disk, but it becomes infected with a computer virus, and your important data is all lost. She doesn’t explain and doesn’t say sorry.

b)        Say nothing.
9.        Your friend Li and you have made an appointment to climb the mountain on the weekend. That day you are late for half an hour . Then Li is angry and says you spoil her fun.
a)        You will answer her:

b)   Say nothing.
10.         You are not a tidy person, and sometimes you may put your things elsewhere. Today you put your books and files on a colleague’s desk. He is impatient and says you should keep your own things in order or otherwise you may bother others.
a)        You will answer him:

b)        Say nothing.
11.         You carelessly break your parents’ wedding photograph. Your mother blames you for your clumsiness.

b)   Say nothing.
12.         Because of traffic jams, these days you have been late for your work several times. Today you are late again and the headmaster criticizes you and tells you that you should be punctual.

b)   Say nothing.
13.         To have lunch, you carelessly drop the soup and soil a lady’s new dress. She is irritated and says you are so rude.

b)   Say nothing.
14.         In the elevator downstairs, you step on a man’s foot and don’t apologize. Then he says you are so impolite.

b)   Say nothing.
15.         Today because of work, you are in a bad mood. So you are impatient with your niece. She says what you do is wrong.

b)   Say nothing.
16.         You forgot the appointment to help your student with his lesson on the weekend, and he waits for you for two hours. Then he tells you it is your fault.

b)   Say nothing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 05:01:36 |Display all floors
I don't know which nationalities are interesting for you research, but I'm Dutch (Netherlands, Europe) and I'll fill in your questionaire.

==
This is a questionnaire about criticism. Suppose the following situation is real, please write down your real utterance. Thank you.
Nationality: Dutch (The Netherlands, Europe)                      Sex: male                       Age: 22
Education: studying at university (undergraduate)               Occupation: student

1.  Today because of heavy task, you are busy working. But colleague Tom is singing loudly beside you and it really bothers you much.
>>a)        You will say to him:
>> Please stop singin during work, it's not good for my concentration. (I wouldn't mind saying this, making much noise in a working place is very unsocial)

(b)         Say nothing.)

2.        Your friend Mary enjoys your favorite photos. She carelessly dirties the photos with ink, and doesn’t say “sorry”..  
(a)        You will say to her: )

>>b)  Say nothing.
>>I would probably say nothing. If she doesn't say sorry, then I assume that she didn't realise she dirtied my photos and therefore didn't do it on purpose.

3   In a mall, you try on several clothes, but none of them is suitable. The assistant is impatient. She complains about your nit-picking, even asks if you have much money to buy the expensive clothes.
>>b)        You will say to her:
>>I would simply tell her that I'll go to another store. As a customer you have the right to try as many cloths as you like, so she shouldn't complain about it.

(c)        Say nothing.)
4        You go to the post office to post your letter. The officer is chatting on the telephone with his friend for a long time and doesn’t pay attention to your “ hello”. Then serve you coldly.
>>d)        You will say to him:
>>I would tell him that he's not doing is job well.

(e)        Say nothing.)
5        Before a ticket office many people stand in a line and wait, but an old woman jumps the line.

>>a)        You will say to her:
>>I would tell her that that's not acceptable behaviour (happened to me a while ago, I got quite angry)

(b)        Say nothing.)
6        In the park on Sunday morning, while exercising, you see an old man throwing the garbage randomly.
(a)        You will say to him: )

>> b)  Say nothing.
>> I probably wouldn't say anything, as many people throw garbage in parks. I wouldn't respect him though.

>>a)  You will say to him:
>> I would give him friendly advice, but if he keeps smoking then that's his decision.

(b)        Say nothing.)
8.        The manager borrows your floppy disk, but it becomes infected with a computer virus, and your important data is all lost. She doesn’t explain and doesn’t say sorry.
>>a)        You will say to her:
>>I would assume she doesn't know much about computers then, and I'd explain her how to prevent this from happening. Only if it would become clear that she didn't care about it, then I would become angry.

(b)        Say nothing.)
9.        Your friend Li and you have made an appointment to climb the mountain on the weekend. That day you are late for half an hour . Then Li is angry and says you spoil her fun.
>>a)        You will answer her:
>> To me half an hour isn't that much, so I would ask her why it's such a problem for her. People are late all the time, no reason to become so angry.

(b)   Say nothing.)
10.         You are not a tidy person, and sometimes you may put your things elsewhere. Today you put your books and files on a colleague’s desk. He is impatient and says you should keep your own things in order or otherwise you may bother others.
>>a)        You will answer him:
>> I think the colleague isn't unreasonable, it's his desk. I would apologise.

(b)        Say nothing.)
11.         You carelessly break your parents’ wedding photograph. Your mother blames you for your clumsiness.
>>a)        You will answer her:   
>> I would apologise to her and try to make it up to her. A wedding photograph is a very valuable thing.

(b)   Say nothing.)
12.         Because of traffic jams, these days you have been late for your work several times. Today you are late again and the headmaster criticizes you and tells you that you should be punctual.
a)        You will answer him:
>> I would apologise, in the end it's my mistake. There's always an alternative way of travelling.

( b)   Say nothing.)
13.         To have lunch, you carelessly drop the soup and soil a lady’s new dress. She is irritated and says you are so rude.
a)        You will answer her:
>> I would apologise and try to make it up to her.

(b)   Say nothing.)
14.         In the elevator downstairs, you step on a man’s foot and don’t apologize. Then he says you are so impolite.
>> I would apologise, it was rude not to apologise earlier.   

(b)   Say nothing.)
15.         Today because of work, you are in a bad mood. So you are impatient with your niece. She says what you do is wrong.
(a)        You will answer her: )  

>>b)   Say nothing.
16.         You forgot the appointment to help your student with his lesson on the weekend, and he waits for you for two hours. Then he tells you it is your fault.
>> I would apologise, but also tell him not to wait so long next time (until it was a very important appointment).

b)   Say nothing.
==

I hope it was helpful to you :)

[ Last edited by pendragon at 2006-10-6 05:03 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 21:01:35 |Display all floors
Questionnaire

Nationality: Filipino (Philippines)    Sex:   F                     
Education:   College Graduate                                Occupation: Consultant

a)        You will say to him: Tom, I love your voice but could you please lower your voice. I am trying to work here.

b)         Say nothing.
2.        Your friend Mary enjoys your favorite photos. She carelessly dirties the photos with ink, and doesn’t say “sorry”..  
a)        You will say to her: (I know I should say something. But I can't think of what now. I would probably have gasped and cried out loud because of shock)

Say nothing.

b)        You will say to her:

c)        Say nothing. But would stare at her.
4        You go to the post office to post your letter. The officer is chatting on the telephone with his friend for a long time and doesn’t pay attention to your “ hello”. Then serve you coldly.
d)        You will say to him: Hey Mister, what is your name so I could report you.

e)        Say nothing.
5        Before a ticket office many people stand in a line and wait, but an old woman jumps the line.

a)        You will say to her: Excuse me, there is a line here.

b)        Say nothing.
6        In the park on Sunday morning, while exercising, you see an old man throwing the garbage randomly.
a)        You will say to him:

b)  Say nothing. I am going to say nothing. I want my peace on a Sunday morning.
a)  You will say to him:

b)        Say nothing. But will give him more cigarettes. I hope he gets the hint.
a)        You will say to her: I hope you realize that you lost all my data by infecting the disc with a virus, so don't go telling me that I can't submit my work on time.

b)        Say nothing.
9.        Your friend Li and you have made an appointment to climb the mountain on the weekend. That day you are late for half an hour . Then Li is angry and says you spoil her fun.
a)        You will answer her: I will appologize and tell her the real reason.

b)   Say nothing.
10.         You are not a tidy person, and sometimes you may put your things elsewhere. Today you put your books and files on a colleague’s desk. He is impatient and says you should keep your own things in order or otherwise you may bother others.
a)        You will answer him:
I don't think I will have this problem.

b)        Say nothing.
11.         You carelessly break your parents’ wedding photograph. Your mother blames you for your clumsiness.
a)        You will answer her:    I am very sorry. I will try and have it repaired.

b)   Say nothing.
12.         Because of traffic jams, these days you have been late for your work several times. Today you are late again and the headmaster criticizes you and tells you that you should be punctual.
a)        You will answer him: I will try to leave the house earlier next time.

b)   Say nothing.
13.         To have lunch, you carelessly drop the soup and soil a lady’s new dress. She is irritated and says you are so rude.
a)        You will answer her: I am so sorry and I will try to clean her new dress and offer to have it sent to the cleaners.

b)   Say nothing.
14.         In the elevator downstairs, you step on a man’s foot and don’t apologize. Then he says you are so impolite.
a)        You will answer him:    I am sorry I didn't realize I stepped on your foot.

b)   Say nothing.
15.         Today because of work, you are in a bad mood. So you are impatient with your niece. She says what you do is wrong.
a)        You will answer her:    What I am doing wrong? Dont talk to me I am in a bad mood.

b)   Say nothing.
16.         You forgot the appointment to help your student with his lesson on the weekend, and he waits for you for two hours. Then he tells you it is your fault.
a)        You will answer him:  I am sorry I forgot our appointment, but next time please try and contact me.

b)   Say nothing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-13 11:09:10 |Display all floors

Reply #3 honeybums's post

Thank you! Have every beautiful day!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-13 11:09:54 |Display all floors

Reply #2 pendragon's post

Thank you very much. Really you have helped me much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-19 13:02:38 |Display all floors

Reply #4 english1982's post

Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.