Author: whirlingone

Are u sending out moon cakes as gifts? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-2 12:21:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-10-1 21:19
I got a fancy box of them from my employer. And a bag with a packaged marinating duck in it. Um, I'm vegetarian, and my son will not eat it if you paid him. It has a head. My boss is not just a bos ...

Your case remind me something like that happened to me several years ago, I was working in a company in NJ and the owner is from a country near middle east, when he came back from his travel from his country he brought to the employess a gift, most of the times sweet biscuits but with strange taste of mix of vegetables and curry, well, I didn’t like it but I accepted as a courtesy, after that I passed to the other colleague, but he thought that I like it and he gave me more, so, I didn’t know what to say I didn’t want to be rude to refusing his present (it happen all the times he came back from his country)
So I asked a colleague for his help and he in a conversation with the boss and others employees (I wasn’t there)  he said that  some ingredients it wasn’t good for my stomach mentioned the biscuits (well, also that is truth) and the owner got the message, so, he never gave me biscuits, next time he brought different things
Sometimes we are afraid to hurt close friends or close people refusing some gifts, but if is about food, better to take an action and the other person can be a good help to avoid this unwanted situations
I believe u are a honest person, maybe in a conversation u or ur friends can bring that point of ur food's preferences and if she is more friend than a boss , she will understand. i hope my story can help u. Good luck

:) :) :)

[ Last edited by force_one at 2006-10-2 01:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-3 20:07:23 |Display all floors

Reply #23 freakyqi's post

An awkward situation for sure. Hope you were able to resolve it comfortably for your boss and yourself.
I think tempex is sweet to be so helpful in offering explanations and insights into your adjustments to living in  a foreign culture and language.
Let us know how this turns out and keep us posted on your life in Beijing.
I'm living vicariously through your adventure. All the best to you and your son.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-9 09:04:48 |Display all floors

No, I didn't. but i received moon cakes as gift from a friend this year

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.