Views: 7516|Replies: 40

who are considered educated people [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2006-9-21 19:45:44 |Display all floors
Some years ago only a few people finished the university in Greece.So the ones who had such a degree were considered something  really special.

On the contrary people who came from poor areas or villages or people who had bad manners were considere uneducated in other words uncultivated .
Now almost everybody has got a university degree but to my disappointment more and more people lack very good manners ,many people are rude ,badly behaved.
My question is the following .Should we continue to call the university degree holders 'educated?

I am curious to see your opinion because I know so many simple people who had never had the chance to go to high school but they are so polite ,so well behaved.
They are really educated .what do you think?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-21 19:59:02 |Display all floors
Educated people mean knowledgeable but no means polite. That is fault of our education system.
I believe a good manner should be the first course for every student.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-21 20:13:39 |Display all floors

xiexie i agree..

Originally posted by szl8179 at 2006-9-21 19:59
Educated people mean knowledgeable but no means polite. That is fault of our education system.
I believe a good manner should be the first course for every student.

I like the old system in China..
where an all round education was considered by virtue of good manners aswell as civil and/or martial arts..
of tact , decorum and self control..

i know a lot of university graduates..like Xilaren stated..that have manners that are abominable and they think they are knowit alls..
yet look at Prophet Muhammed pnuh..
He was illiterate..yet He became a spiritual, political and economic Ruler of the Islamic nation..
oh by the way Ramadan Mubarak in a couple of days to all our Muslim friends here..

so education is relative..

again ..good manners come top of the list
with that comes humility
with that also comes the atitude for constant learning.
that what we know is still nothing compared to the vastness of hidden knowledge waiting there for us..
love and hugs

your sis..

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 02:31:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by xilaren at 2006-9-21 19:45
Some years ago only a few people finished the university in Greece.So the ones who had such a degree were considered something  really special.

On the contrary people who came from poor areas or ...

Personally I don't judge a person by his/her degrees. I have known Masters and PhDs who cheated and lied. Are they educated? Certainly they are knowledgeable in their field. However, they just don't know how to live an honourable lives.
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 08:29:22 |Display all floors

any lifelong learner is an educated person

I think a degree or a multitude of degrees is often irrelevant.  I have a relative who holds a Masters Degree in a very specialized field, yet she is ignorant on the subjects of history, culture, philosophy, natural science and so forth.  When discussions take a turn in that area, she yawns and acts aggrieved that everyone else in the room is animatedly engrossed in what she considers such a boring topic.  As far as I know, she never picks up a book, unless it is related to her own field.

On the other hand, my father and mother both only held a high school diploma, along with  a few courses in business, but both of them were a fountain of knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including linguistics, history, science, etiquette and travel.  Even though my father has been deceased for 6 years now, he is still cited on Internet Ornithology sites for his expertise and contributions to that field, and he wrote a monthly article in the "Florida Naturalist" journal.  

And I do agree that education means getting much more than book knowledge.  It means having the ability to apply that knowledge and to function in a changing world, and it also means acquiring the social graces.  In Chinese academia, we call such a person an "all-arounder."

Use magic tools Report

ccpforme has been deleted
Post time 2006-9-22 08:49:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 10:23:47 |Display all floors
another thread on the forum

I think the rude or bad behaviours maybe just because they want to relieve their pressure

U know now ,men are given more roles in society , they need to earn more money to support the whole families ,they need to get promotion for the so-called man zi , and they need to be a good husband to hearing the wife’s complaint .

But when there are complaint or pressure ,men hardly  tell or communicate with other ,for not being look down .

So what they can do is just the rude manners and bad behaviours .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.