Views: 3491|Replies: 6

Is it so easy to buy a gun over internet in the U.S? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-19 12:03:12 |Display all floors
A Chinese student who murdered her husband in the US gets death penalty.

Her name is Chen, she studied together with her husband in Purdue University in the US after graduation from Tsinghua University in BJ, China. Not being able to bear her hubby's devorce threatening, she purchased a gun over the internet and shot her husband with help of a local guy named Jack of whom no evidence for the existence is available now...!

My Q is: Is it so easy to buy a gun over internet in the U.S? your inputs will be greatly appreciated...!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-19 12:22:01 |Display all floors

Gun Purchase

Basic answer is YES.  

If I have a gun and I want to sell it....  You want my gun and have the money to buy it....

I take your money and give you the gun.  The deal is done.

Gun could be legal or gun could be stolen?

People advertise guns for sale in the newspapers, on internet, post it on bulletin boards at work all the time.  

If you buy a gun from a gun dealer, store, manufacturer, etc. then you have to fill out forms, provide ID and submit to background checks.  

If you have a gun license ( I do ) then you have already had background checks run, fingerprints & photos on file, passed a test on laws and shooting skills, etc.   With the license you can walk into any gun store in your State of residence with money and walk out with a new pistol, rifle, shotgun.
Communication is the most important source of personal power.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-19 16:28:20 |Display all floors
thank u for detailed input which gives me a somewhat clear pic of the gun markets in the US.  But is it legally permitted to sell guns to sb that has no license?...!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-19 21:47:14 |Display all floors

Gun Sales in America

It's perectly legal for individuals to sell guns to other individuals in the USA.  No special license required.  No forms or paperwork required.  Many specific laws are State dependant though.   It would only be a crime if you knowingly sold to someone if you "knew" they were a criminal, a felon, were going to use the weapon to commit a crime, commit suicide, knew gun was stolen, etc.  Very hard to prove prior knowledge.
Communication is the most important source of personal power.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-23 09:49:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by plasmalupus at 2006-9-19 21:47
It would only be a crime if you knowingly sold to someone if you "knew" they were a criminal, a felon, were going to use the weapon to commit a crime, commit suicide, knew gun was stolen, etc....

but how do people tell that u dont sell the weapon to sb. that is going to use it to commit a crime...? it will keep relevant departments busy for quite a while if a crime is committed by the person who buys yr gun...! and u'll have to frequent the police station, being 'questioned' in an endless manner...!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-25 17:38:16 |Display all floors

Buying guns

You must remember that the Americans were (still are?) a trusting people. To a certain degree, I agreed with them, why shouldn't you be able to buy a gun over the internet? Why should we expect the worse from you when we expect the best from ourselves?

But the world has changed, reality intrudes, there are those who would abuse the trust.

Take Australia for example: Join a gun club, buy a gun, buy several guns and come down to the shooting range to have some fun. Why not? Who cares if your are Chinese or Martian.

A Chinese student joined a gun club, bought several hand guns, walked into the lecture hall and shot the lecturer and several fellow students. Two of the students he shot dead where Chinese. He couldn't coup with the stress. First ever and only massacre in an Australian university was perpetrated by a mainland Chinese.

Thank-you so much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-26 06:28:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-9-25 19:38
A Chinese student joined a gun club, bought several hand guns, walked into the lecture hall and shot the lecturer and several fellow students. Two of the students he shot dead where Chinese. He couldn't coup with the stress. First ever and only massacre in an Australian university was perpetrated by a mainland Chinese.  ...

I am sure someone here will blame "Australia" for that tragic crime.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.