Views: 14553|Replies: 26

Western Media = Opium of the 21st Century [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-16 02:25:39 |Display all floors
A very well thought out piece by a member from www.modelminority.com's  forum,

fenqing wrote:
I was reading some stuff on the First and Second Opium Wars today, and it kinda hit me that what is happening right now is quite similar to what was happening back then.

The British tried to popularize the use of opium in China as an attempt to physically, mentally, and financially weaken and subjugate the Chinese. If you think about it, what they are doing right now with trying to popularize American/Western culture and media in China is exactly the same as what they were doing with opium. In some senses, they have already succeeded in producing widespread white worship and foreign envy in China and the rest of Asia, which directly causes the IR disparities.

Last couple of days, there were a lot of reports of how Xinhua is cracking down on foreign press in China. This is very similar to the Opium resistance movement back then, and not surprisingly, Xinhua's actions drew widespread criticism from the EU to the United States, and threats of damaging trade relations. I also remember reading this article back then about how Hollywood is unhappy about China not importing more movies from them, just like how the Brits were insistent of legalizing the Opium trade and remove all barriers. You can never satisfy the white man's desire to colonize.

The goal of the Opium Wars was to open up China for Western goods as well as Western missionaries. And from the looks of it so far, the popularization of Western culture and media has done a better job than the opium trade in lubing up the Chinese to the "white is right, white is beautiful, white is pure" mentality, and paving way for further spiritual (Christianity is spreading like the plague in China) and social subjugation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 05:23:39 |Display all floors

So ...

1) Do you object to inter-racial relationships?

2) How does this issue effect you directly, in particular can you cite any personal experiences relating to it?

3) Have you been to China and assessed attitudes concerning this issue?

As the views of a forum member, your article represents a personal opinion rather than solid fact so let us discuss this issue with respect to personal experiences.

[ Last edited by tmphgt at 2006-9-15 09:26 PM ]
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 07:17:43 |Display all floors
I think these words are not advisable.
         Even I think who said so doesn't understand the real traditional spirit. I often read the works of Pre-Qin Times. And I found the thoughts of people of that period were very free and open.
         We can remember several battles of the Spring-Autumn and Warring-States Period. As we know, there were battles of chariots in that period. But in order to resist other nationalities, Huaxia people changed several methods of battles. When Di Nationality's tribe attacked Zheng State, the armymen of Zheng State defeated utterly the enemies by chariots and the spirit of solidarity. The son of Zheng Zhuang-Gong said proudly, "Our armymen have rituals and solidarity, so we must win."
         While Di's tribes developed stronger, Huaxia people were changing their methods of battles. In a battle between Jin State and Di's tribes, the armies of Jin, the strongest army with chariots, abandoned chariots and used infantries. When the armymen in chariots stepped down their chariots, the armymen of Di' tribes all laughed, because they thought Huaxia infantries couldn't withstand a single blow. But Huaxia infantries quietly defreated utterly these tribes.
         In the Warring-States Period, Zhao Wuling-King, the monarch of Zhao State, abandoned chariot and used cavalries. He commanded his cavalries to defeated many nationalities and states.
         So it is very necessary to study others and learn strongpoints from others. If a nationality doesn't study others open-mindedly, he can't be stronger.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 11:26:58 |Display all floors
You can't seal the mouths of those reporters, and it's foolish to do that;  you can stop people from speaking out their views in whatever manner they feel proper and benificial to their interests; what you can do and do effectively is to aducate your own people, helping them distinguish what is good from what it bad! I am sure that Chinese people can surely tell the evil from the good!!! Don't worry too nuch about that. Actually in the process of such intercourse with the West, China's been exerting its influence over those westerners. They have Opium, but you have 'ice'...! Joking

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 11:28:50 |Display all floors

a typing error to be corrected:

you can't stop people from speaking out their views in whatever manner they feel proper and benificial to their interests;

sorry!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 11:36:57 |Display all floors
Actually the West is not all uniform in their actions and thoughts.
Europe, for example, has almost totally backed away from their former Imperialist tendencies. Asians, men in particular, have a much easier time finding mates there because culturally the Europeans are more sophisticated and more willing to accept the Asian man, who is perceived as more studious and diligent.
Americans , on the other hand, are still bound by their frontier mentality--- that is, to be worth anything, men must be big and strong, rugged individuals. That's why the most popular American sports emphasize American football, basketball, heavy weight wrestling, heavy weight boxing, etc. Other sports that take more physical sophistication, like table tennis, badmintong, judo, etc. hardly get any press in American media and American psyche.
Add to all this the proliferation of the Hollywood mentality since WWII, and you have an entire country that places its value system on physical looks. Before Hollywood the average small town American dated/married within his own geographical area, and not many people even knew what a Hollywood type glamour girl or glamour man looked like. After WWII the whole country went Hollywood, and everybody aspires to look like Ben Affleck, Tom Cruise , or Jennifer Garner , Jennifer Aniston or Loni Anderson., or date/marry people like them.
After WWII the U.S. became the sole surviving superpower, militarily, economically and most importantly, culturally. American movies dominated the whole world, and American values influences young people around the globe to this very day. Of course it's not all bad, but certainly there are a lot of negatives.
The negative part is primarily this : If you are physically different from the Hollywood Joe or Jill, then you are automatically placed on a lower platform.
I've lived in the U.S. since I was 17, almost 40 years ago, and I've seen with my own eyes the number of CCB's going after WM. The average Asian American man in this country is totally ignored and marginalized, and the venom is greatest from the Asian female.
But if you watch TV programs from Taiwan and China, you get an entirely different feeling. The Chinese are free to be themselves, talk about their history and cultural with pride, with normalcy. On Chinese TV the people are relaxed about being themselves. Even the "nerdy" guys on Chinese TV are funny, accepted, and treated normally. Not so on American TV or American literature.
Whenever I watch an American TV program about Asians I cringe. In America we get laughed at physically. They make fun of Asians for having slit eyes, or for talking loud, or driving badly, for having stubby legs, for looking effeminate. When Americans try to have something positive to say about Asians, it's always about Asian women.
On one program they were interviewing this Asian woman who lamented that her parents wanted her to marry a good man who was intellectual, mature, well-established, responsible, etc. She said on TV, "I asked them (parents), where am I going to find an Asian man like that ?"
Huh ? Have you looked at the number of professional Asian men around the country ? I see good Asian men everywhere, in the churches, in Buddhist temples, in grocery stories, in restaurants, many of them working 10 or 12 hour days to feed their families. And this Asian woman can't "find" someone that'll meet her and her parents' standards ?
Of course, if she has her heart set on a 6 foot 4 jock with a PhD in physics, who runs the marathon on weekends, then maybe it's hard to find an Asian man to fit the mold. But then, how many white men also fit that mold ?
What I'm saying here is that white people have a lot of influence. Post WWII they had economic and military power. When the Asian nations started standing up, they the whites started using their Hollywood power, and using that as a yardstick, of course Asian people (men) don't measure up.
Is it a conspiracy ? Not an open conspiracy, but you can bet your bottom dollar that white people will always find a way to be on top.
If you maroon a mixture of Asian people on a deserted island, I can bet you that most of the work will be done by Asians. They will dig the water wells, cut the trees, build the cabins; and the white people will find a way to be become boss, pick the best sites for their lodging, and act like they are the upper crust, the kings and queens, and the Asians will be the servant men, the servant girls, the farmers and labourers.
Just read "Mutiny on the Bounty" and you will get the picture.
Watching Chinese TV programs on China I am amazed at the depth and accomplishments of my forefathers. I have confidence that China, and the Asian people in general, will rise again, and be comfortable in their own skins.
The role of Asian Americans of Asians living in the west is to encourage our brethren in China to be the best they can , develop their own culture, and to be aware of the white man's traps. Yesterday it was Opium, today Hollywood. Don't fall into that trap !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 11:41:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2006-9-16 05:23
1) Do you object to inter-racial relationships?

2) How does this issue effect you directly, in particular can you cite any personal experiences relating to it?

3) Have you been to China and a ...

1) Yes in a way because thats part of western imperalism

2) I live in white hegemonic world

3)

3) Have you been to China and assessed attitudes concerning this issue?

As the views of a forum member, your article represents a personal opinion rather than solid fact so let us discuss this issue with respect to personal experiences.

How is this a PERSONAL opinion? This is taken striaght from history unless you are convinced that opium was suppose to be good for china. This  historical anaylsis has been done before in regards to China.

how does personal experience make anything more valid or trurhful? personal experiences are antecdotal evidence and has no grounds on truth and factual anaylsis

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.