Views: 24894|Replies: 75

Sexy dressing blamed for harassment in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-9 00:47:31 |Display all floors
BEIJING (AFP) - Sexual harassment is widespread at workplaces in China and women who are provocatively dressed are to blame, state media has said, citing an online survey.

According to a survey of more than 4,000 professionals conducted by a job-hunting company, 43 percent of the respondents think sexual harassment is "widespread" and 54 percent say it happens occasionally, the China Daily said.

An overwhelming 90 percent said women who dress provocatively in the office were inviting harassment, it said.

About 45 percent believe the perpetrators tend to be the victims' bosses.

The concept of male supremacy is still deeply ingrained in most Chinese people's minds and sexual harassment is not an issue generally given great social concern.

The paper did not say how many of the 4,000 respondents were male or describe how the survey was carried out.

When I read this article I couldn't believe that this is a topic of conversation in the media. Women should be allow to wear anything they like. Would chinese men prefer all women to dress up in Mao outfits again? Let women be free to choose how they want to dress. Of course when your in the work place you must dress professionally and there should be some type of dress code (should be a good balance). If these Chinese men cant see a women dress nice at work then they are the ones who should take a sexual harrasment class. The Chinese women need to quickly resolve this problem; take power and make sure that these men are not running their lives so harshly. Take off the dog coller women and become more proactive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 05:12:41 |Display all floors
Yeah, people sometimes use the same argument for rape--"She was wearing a teeny skirt and a revealing top; she brought it on herself!" What a load of cr*p. Women should wear clothes that are work-appropriate (I'd never wear a miniskirt to an office), but they should also feel safe, knowing that if they did want to wear that slightly-deeper V-neck to work, they wouldn't get groped by a coworker who felt they could then blame the crime on the victim.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 06:31:39 |Display all floors

Indeed

Just because women want to dress sexy doesn't mean men have a right to go and pinch their backsides or grab their breasts. It's classic misogynism, an attitude that you get in lots of places. But the attitude has to be condemned, otherwise it won't get any better.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 17:11:05 |Display all floors

What rediculous logic!

A man who steals cucumber blames the cucumber is too adorable!

A man who robs a house blames the house looks too sumptuous!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 18:10:19 |Display all floors

That's right, izzy

Originally posted by izzyfish at 9-9-2006 10:11
A man who steals cucumber blames the cucumber is too adorable!

A man who robs a house blames the house looks too sumptuous!

Yeah, it's like the lame excuses corrupt officials use when explaining why they steal from public funds.

"Oh, because my salary isn't so great and there are all these adverts showing rich people enjoying luxuries I can't have. I thought it wouldn't hurt anyone, so it was ok...."

Wrong! It's because you're greedy and you had the ability to take advantage of your position!
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 20:37:35 |Display all floors

What is the Female Role in Primitive Cultures?

With primitive, backward people, a woman's visual expression of her sexuality can bring out uncontrollable urges in primitive men.

This has been witnessed in cultures where religion is used to cover women from head to foot so that she can't express herself and to hold back women's intellectual development and take their rightful place in society. In the most extreme cases, these primitive cultures castrate women, baby girls bornt into a barbaric family are set out to die. It would seem that some of these cultures have been in existence for a few thousand years, but evolution has not endowed these primitive savages with the genetic wherewithal for social development which sees women as equals amongst equals.

China and Chinese should be proud that it is not a primitive culture which kills baby girls. Chinese parents would never ever set a girl out to die because she is a girl. Chinese have the genetic wherewithal to rise about those of a pimitive savage.

China and Chinese should be proud that women are not held back in their development, not physically, not mentally and certainly not intellectually. Chinese have encouraged girls to excel for as long as their was/is a Chinese culture.

Have we?

In June of 1215, the Magna Carter staked out the rights of women in society, inter alia, with this clause:
7. At her husband's death, a widow may have her marriage portion and inheritance at once and without trouble. She shall pay nothing for her dower, marriage portion, or any inheritance that she and her husband held jointly on the day of his death. She may remain in her husband's house for forty days after his death, and within this period her dower shall be assigned to her.

The Chinese claim a more ancient culture, I am sure it is my lack of knowledge of the Chinese culture that I cannot find a similar document stating unequivocally the rights of women.

Where do we Chinese stand?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 22:41:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by modeststeam at 2006-9-9 00:47

When I read this article I couldn't believe that this is a topic of conversation in the media. Women should be allow to wear anything they like. Would chinese men prefer all women to dress up in Mao outfits again? Let women be free to choose how they want to dress. Of course when your in the work place you must dress professionally and there should be some type of dress code (should be a good balance). If these Chinese men cant see a women dress nice at work then they are the ones who should take a sexual harrasment class. The Chinese women need to quickly resolve this problem; take power and make sure that these men are not running their lives so harshly. Take off the dog coller women and become more proactive.  

ARE YOU A FEMINIST?  

YOU ARE ASKING THE WOMEN TO CHOOSE OR TO UNDRESS?

IF WOMEN ARE “FREE TO CHOOSE” THEY WILL MOST LIKELY CHOOSE TO WEAR THE HALF-BUTTOCKS REVEALING PANTS AND TO GO BRA-LESS.    

43 percent of the respondents think sexual harassment is "widespread" and 54 percent say it happens occasionally, the China Daily said.

SO I GUESS YOU BELONG TO THE 3 % ?

#

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.