Author: metto81

Christians will get Chinese to do their dirty work [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-16 12:20:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2006-9-6 17:47

B4 chinese goes for overseas for uni education, they MUST be Orientated

to love the Mother-land!!!

We call that Ta-lu!!!

Nah. they're busy learning about how cool English is by the age of five!
That's one reason foreign languages ought to be banned in all public schools before the age of eight, and all ethnic foreign languge education before the age of ten. this would give students more time in school to learn the grammar of their native language as well as study Confucianism in greater depth.

If that should be done, you would not need to sensor Christianity so much anymore. Because then the Chinese would be able to think for themselves.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 12:32:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by metto81 at 2006-9-8 09:11
What you said is right, BUT

If you follow others and conform to their ways you will ALWAYS be in SECOND place to them!

As for Singapore. It's a small country with less than 5 million people and a clean government and good education system. Has nothing to do with English!

Not convinced, take Japan for example. These people don't know a word of English and are the 2nd largest economy in the world and leaders in technology and so on.

You my friend are the PERFECT example of a third worlded poverty stricken person who wants to be like first worlded wealthy people by copying their ways.

Which is EXACTLY like a top of the line Mercedes with the engine of a lawn mower.

Partially true. But might I add that we need to avoid extremes. If not a single Japanese spoke English, Japan would not be what it is today. The fact that at least a handful of fluent talented English speakers could translate books to and from Japanese certainly helped Japan be what it is today.

On the other hand, those Japanese who were going to be engineers, etc., focussed not on English, but engineering, etc. In other words, English in Japan was treated as a specialiation like any other, with enough people learning English to meet market demands, while the rest focussed on learning other skills equally needed in the market. In this way, the combined efforts of the Japanese, each leraning the skills their economy needed, contributed to one another's success.

In China, with everyone learning English, we end up with an overabundance of English in the market. So it's not the English language per se that is a burden on the Chinese, but rather its over abundance. Without a doubt China needs at least a handful of speakers of the language. It just doesn't need everyone speaking it. So certainly learning from Japan's success would indeed be a step in the right direction.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 12:40:49 |Display all floors
Oh another point that might help. I have been to Christian curches, both in Canada and China, before,.and not once have I ever been charged an entry fee. Such a notion would even be foreign to the Christian Faith. Yet in China, I have been charged entry fees to enter both buddhist and Confucian temples. It would seem to me that a poor man seeking spirituality might be tempted to turn to a church rather than a temple.

One possible solution would be for China to adopt an official religion of sorts. For example, if it should adopt Confucianism, then the government could provide necessary funds to promote access to the Analects, etc., and to ensure free entrance to government sponsored Confucian temples.

If you think that's stange, consider that this is common in Europe. Italy had given the Vatiacan to the Catholic church. The German government does in fact provide funding for German churches too. And the head of state in England is also head of the Church of England.

So if China did this, most countries would keep their mouths shut to avoid being accused of being kettles calling the pot black. China could get away with this one as long as it doesn't suppress other religions. In Europe, while governments do favour Christianity, they don't suppress other faiths. China could do the same with Confucianism. It could finance it, but still allow other faiths their freedom.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Confucianism was in fact China'snational religion in the past anyway.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-17 00:41:13 |Display all floors

Reply #34 caringhk's post

you kena trick lar...Mr. Caringhk..

they, the British Chinese Cronies....are playing...GENGHIS KHAN role model now..

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Gamemaster

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-17 14:20:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2006-9-16 12:32

Partially true. But might I add that we need to avoid extremes. If not a single Japanese spoke English, Japan would not be what it is today. The fact that at least a handful of fluent talente ...

You are correct. But take me for example.

I am Arab, I use the English language as a starting board to better and advance myself to the point where I can fly on my own and switch things to Arabic.

However, I don't go around imposing English on every peasent and common person who's never going to use it.

Some people have greatness thrust on them, others go after greatness.

I went after English to be great. Those that have English thrust (forced) upon them and do not want to be great will have a problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-17 15:35:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by metto81 at 2006-9-17 14:20

You are correct. But take me for example.

I am Arab, I use the English language as a starting board to better and advance myself to the point where I can fly on my own and switch things to A ...

Let's clarify "greatness". To choose not to learn English is not a sign of being less great. It might just be that the person is more interested in other fields, be they science, engineering, or other languages. The point is that English must complement, not supplant, these other skills. Balance is the key.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-17 15:37:03 |Display all floors

Oh, and Metto81...

Ahlan wa Sahlan!
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.