Author: fuzzynuts

A question to Chinese people  Close [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-5 01:56:18 |Display all floors
Johnyou, just tell us this: why are these "restricted" areas not on maps? If they're restricted, why don't they put up a sign (or several) saying "Sorry, no foreigners allowed"? Would that be so difficult?

Or do they just want to get the foreigners in trouble? The fair thing to do would be to at least mention it before arresting and fining innocent travelers who just want to see somewhere different. Fuzzynuts's story, though, clearly reveals that the local officials have no interest in being fair.

Also, I still don't see why the places would be restricted. Explain it to me, without analogies that don't work (ie, relating restricted areas to someone's bedroom... um, yeah, not the same thing).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-5 02:13:02 |Display all floors
I haven't been there yet but I would definitely want to know for sure what areas are restricted, so I don't go. It would be a waste of my time and I dont' want to get in trouble, so there needs to be warnings... and .... I hate to say it because I know it's China & all, but if it's directed at foreigners the signs should maybe be in a couple other languages, so the foreigners are clear about it.

Maybe on maps there could be a little box in the corner that says ATTENTION FOREIGNERS in a few languages, then lists the restricted areas.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-5 07:20:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-9-5 02:13
I haven't been there yet but I would definitely want to know for sure what areas are restricted, so I don't go. It would be a waste of my time and I dont' want to get in trouble, so there needs to  ...

I think the Chinese want to get the foreigners in trouble and cause us to pay extra money! Foreigners are only allowed to work in China so that Chinese companies can get more money from us. And there is also a law that foreign travelers that do not have a residence permit must pay a higher price for things than their Chinese counterparts. Though many Chinese businesses don't follow this law very closely, there are still some businesses that do. Hotels as an example have a set price, but it can be discounted up to like 50% for Chinese but for foreigners, we usually must pay full price. I have the law on my pc somewhere. Once I find it, I will post it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-5 07:26:29 |Display all floors

Travel law

Chapter IV Travel

Article 20 Aliens who hold valid visas or residence certificates may travel to places open to aliens as designated by the Chinese Government.

Article 21 Aliens desiring to travel to places closed to aliens must apply to local public security organs for travel permits.

*but these areas are not posted and we have no way for us to know if they are open to foreigners or not*

Still looking for the other law

From the US government

Restricted Areas

Visitors to China should be aware that Chinese regulations strictly prohibit travel in “closed” areas without special permission. However, over 1,200 cities and areas in China are open to visitors without special travel permits, including most major scenic and historical sites. If you need to know if an area is open to travel without a permit, seek advice from the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate, or, if you are already in China, from the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, the nearest U.S. consulate, or the local Chinese public security bureau. (The U.S. Embassy and consulates addresses are listed on pages 27 and 28.)

[ Last edited by fuzzynuts at 2006-9-5 07:36 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-5 17:57:15 |Display all floors

fuzzynuts

Originally posted by fuzzynuts at 2006-9-5 07:20

I think the Chinese want to get the foreigners in trouble and cause us to pay extra money! Foreigners are only allowed to work in China so that Chinese companies can get more money from us. And ...

In fact, our local goverments always get various policies that restrict us chinese for extra money The damn tradition exists in China for hundreds of years. Now u know how sad we are...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-5 18:11:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-9-5 01:56
Johnyou, just tell us this: why are these "restricted" areas not on maps? If they're restricted, why don't they put up a sign (or several) saying "Sorry, no foreigners allowed"? ...

they don't indicate the restricted areas' on maps as they dont wanna arouse yr curiosty...! u know some of those guys are 'so fond of spying on' yr private affairs that once they knows where a restricted area is, they 'll poke their noses in and...!!! i am kidding u...!

u know china is developing so fast that the departments concerned can't catch up with revising the maps...!!! u might be of some help if u were a chinese..!haiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

sorry time for lunch!!!

hahahah!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-6 01:11:26 |Display all floors
China's developing so fast, the maps can't keep up? Sorry, that's a stupid answer. Come up with an actual reason. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of "local officials want more money."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.