Views: 2581|Replies: 7

新闻翻译练习C-E:泰国鳄出现在广州水域 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-30 16:28:31 |Display all floors
昨日晨7时许,一条长约1.5米的泰国鳄莫名出现在广州石井河,引得上千市民驻足围观。环卫工人、附近居民及水生野生动物救助中心的工作人员奋战了5个小时才将其降服。一些小贩看准了商机,沿河叫卖:“买个望远镜吧,看得更清楚些。”

=====新闻翻译,纯属练习。欢迎参与,互相学习。=====

本人试译:
A 1.5-meter-long Thailand crocodile looming in the Shijing River, Guangzhou City yesterday morning about 7am attracted hundreds of thousands people to look around. It cost five hours for cleaners, nearby citizens and professionals of the Hydrophilous Wild Life Salvation Center to override this uninvited guest. Some vendors did not miss this splendid commercial opportunity, hawking along the river: “Buy a telescope to see clearer!”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 17:13:19 |Display all floors
    A 1.5-meter-long Thailand crocodile inexplicably appeared in the Shijing River, Guangzhou City yesterday morning at about 7am, attracting over a thousand people. It took five hours for environmental protection workers, local residents, and Aquatic Wildlife Rescue Center professionals to capture it. Vendors did not fail to miss this unexpected commercial opportunity: “Get a closer look! Buy a telescope!”
I'm not sure about the "environmental protection workers" part (machine translation) or the word "capture"—perhaps "subdue" or "bring it under control" might convey the original better.

That's a fun, interesting story, copchen!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 17:18:33 |Display all floors
I am coming

Around seven yesterday morning, a 1.5-meter-long Thailand crocodile showed up in the Shijing River of Guangzhou City, which attracted hundreds of thousands of residents to halt for a close look. It cost five hours for the sanitation workers, nearby inhabitants and staff of the Aquatic Wildlife Rescue Center to tame it. Some vendors had an eye for business, peddling along the river: “Buy a telescope to watch it clearer!”

Cop, I like your "invited guest", but I just use "it".

[ Last edited by aliceqiu at 2006-8-30 05:22 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 17:38:43 |Display all floors
I really liked "uninvited guest" also but the verb then ideally would match it: you don't tame or capture or subdue an uninvited guest most of the time. Eject? Turn back? They don't really fit. (You usually override a decision, not an uninvited guest or even an uninvited crocodile.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 18:52:14 |Display all floors
hundreds of thousands 不止上千人哦。

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-8-30 19:52:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 20:54:30 |Display all floors
Thank you, Laoxianggg!  "hundreds of thousands " is an obvious mistake!
And Jeff's comment is absolutely right. The action of  "overriding " a guest, though it is uninvited, is too rude.
alice's version is much better than mine,  and jeff's is perfect.:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.