Views: 5323|Replies: 9

Is conscience something you are born with, or is it something you learn? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-16 22:29:31 |Display all floors
My friend insists conscience is born with. He says one knows when something is right or wrong on the inside, that's why human know what love and kindness are by nature.

I, being somebody who loves a debate to balance the pros and cons, said it is not. My example, a muslim who was taught from a young age that pork is "non-kosher", would feel really bad when he accidentally eats pork. A non-muslim, on the other hand, may have learnt from his parents that pork is good, so he feels good when he eats pork.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 05:46:02 |Display all floors
Some have no conscience.

People who have no conscience are called sociopaths or pyschopaths.  A pyschopath is someone who does horrible things to others because his or her mind is unable to empathize or imagine the feelings of others.  A sociopath, on the other hand, will be able to fake like they can understand the wrong that they doing.  So in a sense, a sociopath is the type of person we're more likely to meet in our day-to-day lives.  But a pyschopath is more likely to do something to that lands him or her on the evening news.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 09:59:26 |Display all floors

Good shot matt.......

I might add that those above have learned right from wrong yet refuse to abide by the social code.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 21:24:43 |Display all floors
not born with, but someone was borned to a certain environment, which had a certain degree of influence on him/her. I feel many people don't even bother to choose what kind of person that they want to be, but they fall to that niche by fate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 23:24:07 |Display all floors
We take everything for granted, but newborns start with virtually nothing and have to learn just about everything.

Forget about the simple act of walking, newborns have to "learn" to "see", that is seeing is not like a camera, the human brain processes dual inverted sets of giberish signals from our occular nerves, it does not simply see but has to "interpret " the gibberish often using approximations of what the giberish might mean and using templates of things it has experienced it the past (some optical illusions are caused by reality not matching the template your brain is using to guess what is out there).

A baby's consciousness of self is very limited at first.
Initally it is not aware that the blur-thingy  that is moving every once in a while (in its field of vision) happens to be his own body part (his hand) and then it also take some time to understand that he can move it.  A baby can cry because of the discomfort or pain caused by its own hand grasping and pulling its face/ear/hair without realizing that he's is doing it.
It takes a long time (months) for a baby to realize that the baby-like thing in front of him is his own reflection in a mirror.

A newborn baby has no conception of the world, of itself, of consciousness as we experience it, and has no chance of knowing what is good and bad. The baby will learn to make the difference based on what he is thought and on his own experience, provided that he does not have a neuro-chemical imbalance or other illness that interfere with jugement.

The brain continues to develop until a person reaches the age of about 24-25 or so, with 'jugement' being among the last cerebral aptitudes to acheive completion. After around 25 the brain is complete and fully functional (including jugement), athough you can still learn and gain experience, wisdom etc.

[ Last edited by icewendigo at 2006-8-17 11:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 00:13:25 |Display all floors
i think we all are born with conscience then when you grow up it either gets developed or undeveloped or maybe underdeveloped. a lot of it depends on your environment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 06:29:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by icewendigo at 2006-8-17 23:24
We take everything for granted, but newborns start with virtually nothing and have to learn just about everything.

Forget about the simple act of walking, newborns have to "learn" to  ...

Ok, I can see all that, but.... what about the idea that children are not racist until they are taught otherwise. I agree with that judging by my own experiences. Can that be held true for other things as well? Would children never want to kill or seriously hurt others if not for the influence of society? We would have to study a group of children growing up with no influence from parents or media in order to know! Haha... but then they wouldn't be living a normal life, so it wouldn't be a fair experiment... oh my goodness, forget it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.