Views: 16093|Replies: 53

I am very confused about that why Taiwan do not want to return [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-26 21:54:03 |Display all floors
I am very confused about that why Taiwan do not want to return,I don't think there is any lose for them,contrarily,they can get more  practically benefits from it,less military budget,more business to mainland,more availabel resource etc...,they can keep their free political and the Chinese leaders can't take their wallet,Why not return and have a relax life?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-26 23:12:21 |Display all floors

The best solution....

...is to actually ask Taiwanese people that don't want immediate unification yourself. Because only they can answer your question directly.

I suppose the basic thing is that they don't want to be part of China at the moment. They're fairly well off, they have political and social freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland, etc. Also the growing Taiwanese identity that has been going on for many years has meant they don't see themselves as being "100% Chinese" any more.

Taiwan could benefit, but money isn't the only thing that people find important. In the end, Beijing and Taipei need to find a solution that satisfies both parties - that is not so easy to so.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-27 02:17:28 |Display all floors

for a lucky boy

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-27 09:00:44 |Display all floors

It's not a question but a living attitude

Originally posted by a__lucky_boy at 2006-7-26 21:54
I am very confused about that why Taiwan do not want to return,I don't think there is any lose for them,contrarily,they can get more  practically benefits from it,less military budget,more business ...

I think this is the typical chinese agrarian awareness of the living attitude, just as what our chinese leaders says to the world, chinese define 'human right' as (only) living and developing (which makes empty sense). So chinese like you are very satisfactory as long as you get 'more practically benefits' and ' more business'

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-27 15:46:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by a__lucky_boy at 2006-7-26 21:54
I am very confused about that why Taiwan do not want to return,I don't think there is any lose for them,contrarily,they can get more  practically benefits from it,less military budget,more business ...

because you have never been to Taiwan
and you have no idea how they live their life in Taiwan

do you receive a VIP treatment when you're holding PROC passport in China
but Taiwanese will receive VIP treatment as long as they have Taiwanese ID card
and Taiwan has an affordable health care system, free to senior and ill Taiwanese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-27 18:37:11 |Display all floors

You won't get an answer here.

Welcome to our little forum here, lucky boy. Your very good question raised unfortunately is not going to receive any meaningful input here. There are several one-eyed Taidus and pretend Taidus who would vomit their usual and predictable tirade as to why Taiwanese should be independent. They will tell you that Taiwanese are not Chinese, that they are free and democratic and China is just a bully. As a matter of fact we can see of their handiwork already. There is nothing new that this group can offer and they ( including someone form UK ) always speak from a fountain of ignorance.

I can say that Taiwanese do wish to be reunited with motherland. The only big obstacle is the hand underneath the puppet Ah Bian called Uncle Sam. The Yanks do get $18 billion annually in arms sales. So you can see they are not likely to give up such a good client in a hurry. Cheers.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-28 02:35:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 27-7-2006 11:37
I can say that Taiwanese do wish to be reunited with motherland.

I guess you'll have some polling to back that claim up, right meng?

The truth is that relatively few Taiwanese want reunification now or in the immediate future - the same can be said about independence. Most want to continue the status quo, which is certainly not unification.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.