Author: theshepherd

Self-defense or terrorist action? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-19 00:26:05 |Display all floors
Yes! Because all of those wouldn't have happened if Jews were gone!

I mean, the middle east would be a total peaceful place!

Oh wait, what's that Iran, secretarian violence, nuclear missiles aimed at Paris and Beijing instead of Jerusalem? Spreading the seeds of rebellion in Western China? You don't say!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 00:29:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tarheel23 at 2006-7-18 22:52

I disagree Otis.  Israel is responding to their acts and bombing the part of Lebanon that they reside.

israel has bombed power stations, petrol stations, highways, beirut airport... they're very deliberately targeting lebanon's civilian infrastructure... this is a war crime.

No one is there. They are hiding behind Lebanese citizens.

no one is there? then who's launching the katyusha rockets into israel?

Also most of Hizbollah are Iranian and supported financially by Iran.

that's incorrect. no one denies iran is supplying hezbollah with munitions, (and why shouldn't they be?) but the majority of the people firing the weapons are lebanese.

Everyone knows this.  Why do they just not fight from Iran?  I think we both know the answer to this.  they hide behind innocent people.  They hit you and then run away---just like Bin Laden.

well the fact that iran doesn't share a border with israel is one obvious reason... and your suggestion that they "hit you and run away" is basless... like l said, hezbollah has been well entrenched in lebanon since the israeli occupation. l would also add that they were largely credited with driving israel out of southern lebanon...  

to turn your question around... why doesn't israel bomb tehran?

I understand that the US gov't has made many mistakes for many years.  We have even created much terrorism with
our policies.  At the same time we want people to be free and not repressed.  When you think of the people in North
Korea does it bother you?  Do you care that the government takes their food away while they die in the streets?  We do!

well l can appreciate that as l share your feelings... but this is a separate issue yes?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 00:37:34 |Display all floors
Responding to your points Otis:
1: Quite simply making sure that Hezbollah can't get the soldiers out of the country. I feel that this is a bit over the top but justified.
2. Again, attacking both the soldiers in the field and the commanders and other fighters who are hiding behind civilians. That's why Israel is bombarding both South Lebanon and Beirut, trying to get both.
3. Yep, agree with you on this one. Which is sorta why they're going to war with Lebanon and not Iran. They want to stop the fighters, stopping the cash flow will come later. Which goes into point 4, Israel doesn't want to open the can of worms that will come from attacking Iran.  I mean, logistically it's a nightmare.  There's also the attempt to disroot Hezbollah. What Israel is trying to show is that if it wasn't for Hezbollah Israel would never have attacked and Lebanon would be fine. They're trying to erode popular support for the organization, and to a certain extent it's working. There's an article in the Washington Post about this, where the Lebanese reckonize that this mess is mostly Hezbollah's fault. Israel's reaction might be a bit over to top, but despite it all, it is having the wanted effect of both weakening Hezbollah and turning Lebanese popular sentiment against the terrorist organization.

[ Last edited by justicefishy at 2006-7-19 12:42 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 01:00:35 |Display all floors
"to turn your question around... why doesn't israel bomb tehran?"

Because weak minded government's and people like you will call it murder!  Much of the middle East plays the shell
game.  Hizbollah is not anywhere near their infrastructure.  Yeah they have been there for years taking orders and
receiving rockets from Iran.  Iran openly states they want to annihalate Israel from the earth.  All the while the people like
you ignore this and complain about Israel being cruel and unfair.  I am not Jewish.  I want to end terrorism and I realize
that many innocent people would die.  The problem only gets worse with more time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 01:10:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by justicefishy at 2006-7-19 00:37
Responding to your points Otis:
1: Quite simply making sure that Hezbollah can't get the soldiers out of the country. I feel that this is a bit over the top but justified.
2. Again, attacking bo ...

l think it will have the opposite effect...

what happens if israel is forced into exchanging hostages as they were in the past? do you think this will undermine or bolster support for hezbollah? l would say the latter...

destabilizing the lebanese government could also enable hezbollah to gain more support/control...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 01:13:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tarheel23 at 2006-7-19 01:00
"to turn your question around... why doesn't israel bomb tehran?"

Because weak minded government's and people like you will call it murder!  Much of the middle East plays the shell
g ...

l think you need to work on your debating skills mate...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 01:25:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by otis22 at 2006-7-19 01:10

l think it will have the opposite effect...

what happens if israel is forced into exchanging hostages as they were in the past? do you think this will undermine or bolster support for hezboll ...

That's certainly a risk, which is why a UN intervention might be quite helpful. Possibly EU, China, and US backed with a bit of Israeli funding. At worst it'll be a buffer and impede Hezbollah. At best it'll disarm Hezbollah, create a stable democracy, make the Cedar Revolution a true thing, and weaken Syria and Iran.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.