Author: whitney16

blood type A,B,AB,O [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-6-24 10:20:37 |Display all floors
Yes t-bird, it will definitely work on humans too! That stuff stinks!

Whitney - you weren't bothering me, no one ever bothers me unless they call me bad names.

Ok I just looked up a bunch of stuff about what attracts mosquitoes, and there a re MANY answers & possibilities.
Here are some things that researchers have found mosquitoes to be attracted to (and some types are attracted to different things than other types!) These are in no particular order.

sweat
lactic acid (particulary for yellow fever msq.)
perfume/other scented products
limburgher cheese
socks worn for a while (has some same bacteria as the cheese above!)
people who already have malaria
carbon dioxide (people & plants each have their own CO2 "signature" which can identify them from other people, like a fingerprint!)
dark colors
alcohol vapor
moisture
folic acid
medications you take
if you're bigger

Repellents don't "repel" - the msq's don't hate the smell of them, the repellents inhibit some of YOUR smells so the msq's don't find you as easily. DEET inhibits your lactic acid. It contains plant chemicals that mix with your CO2 and make the msq think you're a plant! Weird.

Not one article said anything about blood type. Not one could answer why they bite some people more than others. With all those above factors and all the other chemicals coming from our skin, no one seems to know that answer. It could be a combination of many things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-24 21:38:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-6-24 02:12

Once I sprayed myself liberally with "OFF", the female mosquitoes would instantly stop kissing me. I hope that stuff also work on human females.:hands ...

a ? Once I sprayed myself liberally with "OFF"  i have little confused,could you explain it clearly?  :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-24 21:51:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-6-24 10:20
Yes t-bird, it will definitely work on humans too! That stuff stinks!

Whitney - you weren't bothering me, no one ever bothers me unless they call me bad names.

Ok I just looked up a bunch ...

Wow,,wow,,  you give a so clearly answer that i can understand well...

BTW, does it matter with the people 's stress ? i think what  Caringhk said  are  a little bit reasonable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-24 22:25:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by whitney16 at 2006-6-24 21:38

a ? Once I sprayed myself liberally with "OFF"  i have little confused,could you explain it clearly?  :)

"Off" is a pressurized insect repellent (brand name product of Johnson Wax). They claim having the longest lasting ingredient to provide hours of protection from mosquitoes. Company listed active ingredients as follows: N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide.....14.25%; Other isomers  0.75%   Inert ingredients...85.00% For additional information write Hansen S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc. Racine, Wisconsin 53403 USA

I also have some interesting and relevant information for the viewers. Please read the following articles.

Kawartha Lakes, Ontario Mosquito Control

'Natural' Mosquito Repellents:.
What works and what doesn't
Scientific studies of Catnip, soy and other "natural" products
Mosquito repellent fact sheet
Products that do not work
Other biting insects

Catnip, soy and other "natural" mosquito repellents
Because deet, the most effective mosquito repellent known, has adverse health effects on people, attempts have been made to find "natural" repellents.

Jamie Heal of the University of Guelph recently studied a repellent called Blocker (now called Bite Blocker), composed of soy oil and other "natural" products, and found it to be as effective as products containing the lower concentrations of deet. Bite Blocker was recently licensed for sale in Canada, but had not yet been approved for sale in Ontario last time we checked.

Catnip is showing promise in tests conducted at Iowa State University. See  http://www.sciam.com/news/082801/2.html

Avoid perfumes and ordinary skin creams, as sweet oils and most perfumes attract mosquitoes.

Repellent Fact Sheet   
By James D. Heal, Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Ontario  (excerpted, quoted by permission)  

· Repellents can be registered for use in Canada if they provide greater than 95% protection for at least 30 minutes after application, applied at a rate of 1.0 ml per 600 cm2 of skin (approximate skin area of an average human forearm)   
· They fall into two categories:  Ø Deet-based    Ø Non-deet-based essential plant oils

Deet-based:  Repellents containing deet can provide full protection from 2-8 hours, depending on concentration of deet.  A 7% deet formulation (e.g. OFF Skintastik) will provide about two hours protection.  A 30% deet formulation (e.g. Deep Woods OFF) will provide 4-6 hours protection.  A 75% deet formulation...will provide 6-8 hours protection.  

Non-deet-based essential plant oils:  Repellents containing essential plant oils (e.g. Citronella oil (5-10%) or lavender oil, sometimes used in combination with tea tree oil, coconut oil, almond oil, etc.) will provide 30-60 minutes protection.  

· Duration of effectiveness, no matter what kind of product you use, also depends on how much you perspire, which is related to your level of physical activity.   

Products That Do Not Protect You From Mosquitoes:   
Backyard electrocutors, sonic repellers, scented wrist bands, citronella candles, scented geraniums (Citrosa plant), Avon Skin-So-Soft, garlic oil (eaten or sprayed on vegetation).  

Bottom Line   
· Check to see if product has a P.C.P. (Pest Control Product) number.  If it does then that product has been tested in Canada and proven to perform as indicated on label.
· Use product as indicated in instructions on product label for safe and effective use.

Mosquitoes--Life History
Eggs è larvae è pupae (all aquatic) è adults (terrestrial)   
· Most overwinter as eggs or adults, depending on genus  
· Females require a blood meal to obtain protein to lay eggs  
· Females and males feed on flower nectar as an energy source  
· Males die soon after mating  
· Females may live one to two months and lay multiple egg batches   

Blood Feeding Behaviour
· Females are attracted to carbon dioxide and will fly up a concentration gradient to find a host which is exhaling carbon dioxide  
· Final host acquisition is attained by using a combination of detection methods, including detection of carbon dioxide, heat (infrared sensing) and host movement (visual sensing)  
· Can feed to repletion in less than 3 minutes   

Comments on other biting insects

Black flies:   Products that work well against mosquitoes usually perform as well or better against black flies.
Stable flies:  Higher concentrations of deet (>30%) will protect against stable flies but for much shorter duration times than against mosquitoes.
Deer flies and horse flies:  Repellents are not effective against these large biting flies.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-25 02:08:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by whitney16 at 2006-6-24 21:51

Wow,,wow,,  you give a so clearly answer that i can understand well...

BTW, does it matter with the people 's stress ? i think what  Caringhk said  are  a littl ...

Thank you. :) Yes, stress is also a factor. Stress causes chemical changes in your body, so the chemicals coming from your skin are different. Is that how a "lie detector" machine works? So stay relaxed! You'll get less mosquito bites and you'll be healthier!

<---this guy is meditating, "Ommmmmmm......" he will not get bitten now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-25 03:25:31 |Display all floors
what a funny thread... here mosquito, come suck some of my blood to keep your babies nice and warm...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-25 10:24:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-6-24 22:25

"Off" is a pressurized insect repellent (brand name product of Johnson Wax). They claim having the longest lasting ingredient to provide hours of protection from mosquitoes. Company l ...

you  have done a good job   i have learnt a lot~~`` :)

i have read  the link you give , do u mean the article of  The Ultimate Blood Test  ?
http://www.sciam.com/search/index.cfm?QT=Q&SCC=Q&Q=The+Ultimate+Blood+Test&x=12&y=6

but it seems not  to relate with the test  which  you said  too much .

yeah,Mosquitoes--Life History ,i also have learned  from that book long time before,but i forget the name of the book

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.