Fruits:Lichee/litchi...

Crops: Kaoliang...

Drinks: tea...

Clothes: cheong-sam,silk...

Accomodation/transportation: Kang, sampan,

Nature: Typhone..

Others:  Long time no see...

Historical expressions with Chinese charactor or only applied in China:

Legged Essay, Great Leap Forward, Maoist, Little Red Book, work unit, iron rice bowl, reform and opening, township enterprises...

This gonna be endless...

Ok, it's your turn, dear friends.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 07:23:17 |Display all floors

And for those who knows Chinese...

...click here to join another thread in CD:

>>来点有意思的--请列出自认绝妙的音译

Have fun.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 12:38:06 |Display all floors

360 characters, more words in my head & pinyin

Look, you can take a test to see how many characters you know:

http://www.clavisinica.com/chartest.html

Wait, I will take it.... Oh, my problem will be that you have to choose simplified or traditional, and I know a combination. Simplified is everywhere, but my class was traditional. I will try simplified and hope for the best...

Ok, it was difficult because for some I knew the meaning but not the pinyin. So that means I'm wrong. You have to know hanzi, pinyin, and meaning. It says I know approximately 360 characters.

There are four levels:
- beginner
- low intermediate
- high intermediate
- advanced
I took Low Intermediate. It gve me 36 beginner hanzi, of which I knew 28, and 36 Low intermediate, of which I knew 9. Then it extrapolates or something fancy that means "multiplies".

It suggests taking it a few times and averaging. I'm going to take it again, at beginner level. Maybe I'll feel better about myself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 13:02:00 |Display all floors
This time, 52 out of 72, or 218 hanzi, on beginner level. I guess the test can vary! Or maybe I know some harder ones but not some basic ones.

PS - you need a HIGH SPEED CONNECTION!!! Even so, there will be times when you wait a bit. Don't hit 'continue' again, or it will skip your next question as if you passed it not knowing it. Be patient, it's not too bad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 13:12:01 |Display all floors
Two words:
Babel Fish
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 13:24:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by eyeofstorm at 2006-6-15 13:12
Two words:
Babel Fish

Well aren't you a sorry, sad lump. EOS, I know your nationality(ies), I think, but do you speak Chinese at all?
Just curious.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 13:30:45 |Display all floors
I can speak it pretty well due to family influence and environment but I have trouble reading and writing it. It's better than my Chinese-American or ABC buddies who completely dislodged themselves from their Chinese roots and culture.

Tsk tsk...I still slap them upside the head when they try speaking 'Chinese' in a 'foreign' tone haha~
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.