Author: ptbptb

我连高中水平都够不上了! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-6-26 20:15:13 |Display all floors
I will be an university student two months later.
I had the exam a month ago.Engliah exam is different from normal English,but it can also improve us.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-26 21:39:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zjt1860 at 2006-6-26 20:15
I will be an university student two months later.
I had the exam a month ago.Engliah exam is different from normal English,but it can also improve us.

you took the entrance exams last month and you will be a college student in two months.
congratulations!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-27 03:02:03 |Display all floors
re: 我连高中水平都够不上了!
Me neither.  Exams like these are "long on theory, and short on application."  Some people who have passed CET4 and 6 cannot write one single complete and correct sentence. That shows you how valid those exams are.
  Time to rethink the rationale behind "universal English requirement" in the Chinese education system. We must choose quality over quantity. Scrap the mandatory second language requirment for getting a university diploma, but go for a high quality, but optional "proficiency certificate" in which one must demonstrate one's ability to talk and write comprehensively.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dstephen1/harvardnonsense.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-28 14:34:53 |Display all floors
well... i donno about situations in British/New Zealand/Australia etc. but here in the US, most chinese students' english is really bad, especially those newcomers, 20-30 year old, who graduate from colleges and come to the US to be MA or PHD.

Not listening or speaking per se, but overall, it is bad.

They prefer to talk to taiwanese, who seem to speak better English and are more open-minded in terms of absorbing new stuff.  It is sad for me to hear that, but i know they are telling the truth. isn't sad?

Originally posted by littoral at 2006-6-23 07:03
i m she-littoral

i have been so busy with my MA thesis that i never get time to goof around ...

haha..i m amazed at how sensitive you can be when hearing some people are better than us... tha ...

The discussion is a bit off the line now, but it is more interesting.

I have some similar observations here in Singapore as you have in the US. The Taiwanese and Hong Kong ppl generally are easier to blend with the locals. But I don't think that it is a problem of language only.

In my experience, compared with that of the Taiwanese and Hong Kong ppl, the Mainlanders' English is not bad, at least they start from the same level.

The problem is in their attitudes to the world and to different cultures.

Most ppl from Mainland grow up in an environment with limited channels to information. To make things worse, most info they can have has been filtered without their notice.

They just lack of exposure to differences. Hence, they are not so tolerant or accommodating to differences. This really impede them communicating with others or the locals in other countries.

Not many ppl notice this. But once they realize this problem and go beyond their egos/prides, they will start appreciating the differences and learn from others.

Only by then, a better English can be turned into an edge in communication. Otherwise, it is just some dry scores on the paper.

I believe you will do pretty well in the US, littoral.

cheers
welcome to my blog
http://www.jackypeng.com/blog

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-29 15:07:00 |Display all floors
My answers: DBCDAA.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-1 20:29:45 |Display all floors
我答对了五题.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-11 15:07:49 |Display all floors

c is better

27. All morning as she waited for the medical report from the doctor, her nervoursness __c_.

A. has grown; B. is growing; C. grew; D. had grown

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.