Author: paoburen

10 Most Useful Phrases for Foreigner in Beijing [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-4 04:29:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by paoburen at 2006-6-7 15:56

shay shay

Whoa... haven't American people already distorted the Chinese language enough? Stick to pinyin, please. [x] is not [sh]. [e] is not [ay] (which is a diphtong).

zi jee-ann

This is the most common mistake. A character in Chinese is just one syllable. Jian is pronounced like yan, but with another initial. It is not jee-ann (which is two syllables).

dwoh shaow chee-ann

Except that almost no one uses that textbook phrase. "Duo haor qian" (多好钱) seems to be what most folks actually use in practice.

Wo bu shuo zhongwen

This means "I refuse to speak Chinese"...

"I don't speak Chinese" = 我不会说汉语 = Wo buhui shuo Hanyu.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-24 21:10:40 |Display all floors
OMG! I thought I knew a lot about linguistic...

and I shouldn't be surprised if liangzai speaks better putonghua than I do...>_<''
dead

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 03:15:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by liangzai at 2007-2-4 04:29

Whoa... haven't American people already distorted the Chinese language enough? Stick to pinyin, please. [x] is not [sh]. [e] is not [ay] (which is a diphtong).

Hey now, is it only americans that muck it all up? Surely there must be others who sound like idiots too.

I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-23 01:25:36 |Display all floors
there are more bad words I`ve ever heard like:
"wo cao" ...means the F word,you know
"gun" ...not a kind of weapon, it means get out or go out
and more you will hear in your life in China
Chinese is also a crazy language,isn`t it ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-8 21:12:57 |Display all floors
anyone in here know the pinyin or jyutping for the prase "foreign devil". thats a cantonese word i'd like to
know. The wife refuses to teach me that ( amongst a few other dirty words in cantonese ).

My goal is to have the characters for some fun

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 02:04:41 |Display all floors
tyrant101:

I'm no hand at Mandarin but I bought the book "Outrageous Chinese" by James J. Wang , ISBN 0-8351-2532-7.

On page 87 he translates "foreign devil" into Mandarin as "yang guizi" with an upwards sloping accent over the "a", and a chevron-like accent over the first "i".

Your wife must be really refined.

My Shanghainese wife is also very refined but she cheerfully corrects my pronunciation of any of the "outrageous" words I want to learn. She also has a fund of Cantonese swear words. I have learned the phrase refering to part of someone's mother's anatomy for which my prononciation is apparently quite accurate. I feel some satisfaction for this achievement(!)

Mrs Rong says that for the Cantonese translation of "foreign devil" you have to specify male, female, or kid -either "gwei lo" "gwei po" or "gweitzai" (foreign devil puppy)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 20:40:32 |Display all floors
Hi, Mrs Rong is quite close to what i guessed and found myself on http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk

I had found gwaai  for "devil" so what i am looking after must be something like gwaai lo.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.