Views: 9984|Replies: 22

English learing should be compulsory in Chinese colleges and universities. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-29 11:56:01 |Display all floors
Welcome to voice your ideas.:):)
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
64.00% (16)
36.00% (9)
0.00% (0)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 12:22:40 |Display all floors
my english was common
but it waste a lot of my time
use this time i can did something more importiant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 14:26:00 |Display all floors

support!

As an English major, i think it is necessary for science students to learn English. Although it may seem to be a  trouble for them, it will prove to be an advantage after graduation. esp. for students majoring  in computer engineering and some other majors in relation to electronics, since IT corporations require employees' English levell, and these IT  corporations are better choices for students majoring in the above-mentioned fields, so English are necessary, if not so impotant,  most students won't learn English if they are not forced, so English must be a compulsory course .
but one thing i want to say is that  we should pay more attention on their communication ability, so oral English may come as the first necessity, after all, for non-English majors, learning English is a burden, so their learning of Englisn shoud be practical . if he can talk , why should we care too much of their gammar! Foreingers always care information.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 13:43:03 |Display all floors

As a native speaker of English...

... I must vote NO!

While I do support a second language as a requirement, I totally disagree with the government cramming English down everyone's throats.

Right now in Nanjing, Polish translators are earning five times the salary of English translators. In Hefei, French earns 1.1 times the English salary, plus many more jobs are available. French speakers might be teahcing it in university in the daytime, doing translation work in the evenings and on weekends, and then going to france every summer to guide a Chinese tour group. I knew of one university professor who had to start turning offers down so she could spend some time with her family. Many fluent English speakers in Hefei forget their English once they leave university since companies have already hired the English speaking staff they need. China Radio Internaitonal is always short of Esperanto, Swahili and other staff; they must even go to the universities, recruit and train the students themselves in the needed languages! Another businessman friend of mine from Hefei, when travelling abroad for business, uses English for hotels, restaurants, trains, airplanes, etc.  But when it comes to negotiating and signing contracts, ALWAYS in Esperanto since he and his partners know that language better (it's a much easier language overall), not to mention that it's a more technically grammatically precice language too, thus avoinding future legal problems as a result of bad English communication. Anotehr company in Hefei had to spend THREE months advertising ALL OVER CHINA to find a Spanish interpreter for their company which dealt with South America. One Chinese university and its Polish counterpart also have an Esperanto exchange since it's easier for both sides to learn Esperanto than it is to elarn English. A university in Buenos Aires, Argentina, had a hard time for awhile (maybe still does, I don't know) looking for Chinese teachers who knew Spanish since so many students wanted to elarn Chinese but didn't knwo English. The UN often has a shortage of Chinese-Arabic interpreters. And the list of examples goes on and on and on and on!

Perhaps the following official decree from the Italian Ministry of Public Instruction might shed some light on the problem.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 13:50:07 |Display all floors
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 13:51:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by supershinobi at 2006-5-29 12:22
my english was common
but it waste a lot of my time
use this time i can did something more importiant

That's been my experience with many Chinese students of English too! In fact, most foreigners in China will most likely agree with you from my experience.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 13:53:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by magicelva at 2006-5-29 14:26
support!

As an English major, i think it is necessary for science students to learn English. Although it may seem to be a  trouble for them, it will prove to be an advantage after graduation. esp. for students majoring  in computer engineering and some other majors in relation to electronics, since IT corporations require employees' English levell, and these IT  corporations are better choices for students majoring in the above-mentioned fields, so English are necessary, if not so impotant,  most students won't learn English if they are not forced, so English must be a compulsory course .
but one thing i want to say is that  we should pay more attention on their communication ability, so oral English may come as the first necessity, after all, for non-English majors, learning English is a burden, so their learning of Englisn shoud be practical . if he can talk , why should we care too much of their gammar! Foreingers always care information.  

If that's so true, why is it that most Chinese IT professionals whom I've met have lost their Englsih after graduation and seem to be doing just fine without it? It would seem logical to me that if English were that important, the need for it woudl have been felt as soon as the student should have graduated, thus giving him no time to forget it but, on the contrary, only improve in in real life use, no?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.