Author: xiao-meow

What is the strangest animal please? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-30 01:35:26 |Display all floors
Ok Caringhk, we have both learned something together today! I looked up more about tapirs, and I discovered that South American tapirs seem to be these plain brown ones. The colorful ones are the asian ones - sort of like panda coloring, eh?

http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/pag ... or+Brazilian)+Tapir

Wikipedia:
"In Chinese, Korean and Japanese, the tapir is named after a beast from Chinese mythology. A feature of this mythical creature is a snout like that of an elephant. It is said to eat people's dreams. In Chinese, the name of this beast, subsequently the name of the tapir, is mò in Mandarin and mek in Cantonese (貘). The Korean equivalent is maek (Hangul: 맥, Hanja: 貊), while it is called baku (バク) in Japanese.

In the 90's animated series Darkwing Duck, a recurring enemy was a yellow and black tapir named Professor Snout."

From  http://www.ecuador-travel.net/in ... y.mammals.tapir.htm
"Tapirs are plant eaters using their short and flexible snout to pick fruits, leaves and other vegetations. Being fruit eaters, they help to disperse seeds throughout the forest and so are an important part of the ecology. They are good swimmers and like to go into the rivers and lakes, which serve also as a refuge when they fell threatened. They are solitary animals mating once a year in the rainy season. One young is born after a gestation period of 13 months and it stays with the mother for one year."

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-5-30 01:36 AM ]
300px-Belize20.jpg
tapir.gif

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 07:56:24 |Display all floors

its all a strange!

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 09:24:55 |Display all floors

Reply #33 hidenseek's post

I see Seek has details of the deep seas and guppies.

The colourful guppies you showed i had one tank last year. When replanted the Lotus, there are more water so another tank of guppies.
Guppies without colour are robust so we ut them in the drains so that mosquitoes babies cannot exists.

I aslo have few chinese carps.

Thxs
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 09:26:05 |Display all floors

Reply #37 xiao-meow's post

The Bull of Australia known as Selandang around Asia!!!

Ladies needs strong Bulls.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 09:28:00 |Display all floors

Reply #36 freakyqi's post

YES FReaky - The bottom black one are found here!!!

Normally i see them welling in the deep muddy waters......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 11:19:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-30 11:24:31 |Display all floors
Xiao, you find the weirdest pictures! Find one of a male seahorse giving birth. It's the male that carries the babies, and he shoots them out of his belly when they're ready to come out, or something like that. Go now, do your assignment.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.