Views: 19018|Replies: 164

FOOD - fun, pleasurable, necessary, and strengthening bonds all over the world! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-19 08:17:18 |Display all floors
So many times the threads go off topic... to what topic? FOOD!
Apparently it is on many people's minds. So if you find yourself in another thread talking about FOOD, come here instead! And look for the other thread that contains RECIPES, and only recipes. (Recipe thread title is purple, to match this one)

Food is the ultimate way of sharing. Well, maybe sex is, and parenting, but food can be shared innocently between anyone, and always creates some sort of bond. When people eat together, even at a business meeting, the participants usually feel closer and more comfortable with each other.

Food strengthens family bonds, and creates friendships.
Food is often shared on a date, or between lovers.
And old woman may feel very worthwhile and needed when the food she prepares is appreciated, and on the other hand, babies rely on others to feed them.

What are some of your favourite foods?
Tell us some unusual food experiences or warm memories.
Have you ever been without food for a long time?
Do you love cooking, or dislike it?

[ Last edited by threebowls at 2006-5-27 05:18 PM ]
Post unto others what you would have them post unto you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:32:48 |Display all floors

Reply #1 threebowls's post

Wow! Mr Bowl.

I was just thinking this morning what would make people happy or make your partners happy. So you say is FOOD.

I would say fruits, vegetables and some meat are in my menu these days.
For slimming and watch that cholestrol level. Plus some tonic to boost strength and vitality. The end is the most important matter.

I could cook if i put my mind to it.
And i have books which says what and why it is good for us.
So much for FOOD for thoughts!!!
Cheers.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:50:41 |Display all floors
Thank you caringhk! And China has a long tradition of using food as "medicine" as well. Some foods are "hot, warm, neutral, cool, cold" or "yin or yang", etc. and would be eaten to relieve different ailments according to traditional Chinese medicine. If you have "too much fire" in you causing a problem, you should eat cooling foods. Actual temperature is not what they mean, they are talking about inherent qualities in the food. For example, a hot spicy pepper, even cooked in food (temperature hot, and spicy "hot") might actually cool you. It may make you sweat, but the final effect is that it cooled your body, and drew out excess heat and moisture with it.

I am not an expert on this, I am merely remembering an example, which may not be completely accurate. There are books and Chinese doctors that could tell you an extensive amount about it.

Because of relating foods to yin/yang, this way of eating must be Taoist?  
Post unto others what you would have them post unto you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:54:11 |Display all floors
Oh...food

Favourite foods...
Any dishes made by mom...is the most tasty food...
I enjoyed a lot of different cuisine, Chinese and "exotic" food...preferably hot, spicy, tasty, creative and exciting, but not disgustingly weird...just like the kind of people I'm interested... but I don't like sushi and sashimi most...though lots of people do...because I don't like cold food, and with mild taste that I can barely addict...and down with fast food, instant noodle and such!! I can't help feeling sick when thinking of them...

How can I have any time without food when I even dream of food in sleep... =9...perhaps if I were reduced to an isolated island...and I'll try to bake some sea fish and have some coconut juice!  

I love cooking, sometimes you can work out creative ways...and especially to see others wolf down the food....its a kind of enjoyment, but I hate washing plates...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 10:05:38 |Display all floors

Reply #4 superkylin's post

Superkylin - "You hate washing plates... "
You can have an amah
or just invite me.

Somebody has to do the job.
Otherwise the rats will do it for free.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 10:09:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by threebowls at 2006-5-19 09:50
Thank you caringhk! And China has a long tradition of using food as "medicine" as well. Some foods are "hot, warm, neutral, cool, cold" or "yin or yang", etc. and woul ...

Well I think food with different "xing"--nature, they do inhibit each other, it has something to do with Chinese traditional medicine, and people say it's better for you to have food(to nourish) than medicine...
i.e...lichee has a nature of warm, pear is cold, so is watermelon...there're lots of books, and advise you to arrange some food together while some are forbidden, but some are exaggerating and untrusty sayings I think...

I don't think it's necessarily Taoist...a lot of common people believe and practise that way...Taoism indeed paid a lot attention to the preserving one's health and maintain the life and worked out and sum up the experience...but who come up with these sayings firstly..I think first there're sayings and experiences.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 10:11:15 |Display all floors

Reply #3 threebowls's post

Mr Bowl - You remember rightly in your prescription!!!
Thxs

I have 4-5 books of these Taoist Yin-Yang books written by Prof DR Henry C Lu
where most materilas from the "Yellow Emperor Material Medica".
I had it ~15 years ago.

I am pretty much Yin-Yang adjusted these days
and the days of too much Dong Quai(yang) from Ba Kut Teh(herbal pork soup dish) is over.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.