Views: 3029|Replies: 12

what present would you suggest me for a chinese guy [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2006-5-17 00:13:50 |Display all floors
A very good friend of mine is a chinese guy.I want to buy a present for him that will be really useful.
I never had a guy as a friend in the past even in my country.I am desperate now because I have no idea what kind of present would be well accepted for him.Have you any idea?
I am not talking about anything of minor value.Not only something that represents my country.I am aware about them.I am talking about something more valuable.Please  think....
He is a very very good friend .I want to make him happy .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-17 02:05:04 |Display all floors

please do not leave me alone to decide

I asked my chinese teacher and the only things I heard from her was the word NO all the time.I want to check if she is right or not.
She said no perfumesbecause chinese men do not use perfumes.She said no clothes ,no belts anything I asked her she said No.All the above are considered very personal and he may feel embarrased.
I am asking you if she is right or not.
I will be in London and I will have so many opportunities to buy anything for him but what?
please help.I do not want to put him into an embarrasing position.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-17 03:48:33 |Display all floors

What Doctor Should I See

Well, you did not give any background on the gentleman friend, and the relationship.  So it is like asking what doctor you should see.  It makes a difference what the needs are.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-17 03:52:51 |Display all floors

re

Originally posted by tongluren at 2006-5-17 03:48
Well, you did not give any background on the gentleman friend, and the relationship.  So it is like asking what doctor you should see.  It makes a difference what the needs are.

yes you are right.He is a guy 31 years old.He is a very good friend of mine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-17 12:17:24 |Display all floors

Men are easy to get gifts for......

As long as it is useful.... We men like useful things.  Also several gifts are nice. Some little suggestions.

Money Clip

A book of maps of the world.

A small keychain with a light.

A nice Ink pen. One of the fine tip types.

Something for his desk if he has one.

Some of the classic things from Greece, puzzle ring, or some Greek God statue there are lots of cool things in Greece. (assuming you are Greek)

Don't forget if his parents are in Beijing a little something for them, and a sister or other family members. It is always good to take a bunch of stuff as forget-me-nots for other friends of his. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"  Sorry I had to say that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-17 12:31:27 |Display all floors
Of course something from your country not made-in-China. A business man or a scholar? Not much background you have provided.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-17 12:38:04 |Display all floors
If he's your good friend, don't send a costly present...or he'll worried about sending you back a more costly one...anyways that's usually my parents and some other elder people consider...and your Chinese teacher's right...usually Chinese men(exceptions to some young guys) don't take to perfumes...they think it's for the women, and belts, neckties, purses are something that their wives, girlfriends send them...and better no flowers, either...unless you send to his family....if I were him, never been to Greece, I'll be very glad to receive something special from Greece...it's almost a myth...

Avoid clock, avoid the number 4, avoid "green hat" (..kidding)
and if you'll wrap it, don't use white, black or bright red...maybe he's not superstitious but not sure about his family...

As for present...I've no idea about present for a man with that age...anyways..
depends on his hobbies...if he likes sports, art, stamps, photography, wine...that's easier....consider his family either...parents...don't be too costly, but special and useful..and what's that in English..? ...festive? no one rejects festive

[ Last edited by superkylin at 2006-5-17 12:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.