Views: 22124|Replies: 62

China in your eyes before you came [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-16 02:30:07 |Display all floors
Unlike many people who have never seen china (and refuse to come here in fear of contracting bird flu etc.), before I came to China, I had no expectations. I was not at all surprized by anything, because I expected to see all this development etc... I also chose China as for my various case studies at college.

BUT, I know a lot of people have a tendency to have a few info about China wrong. Some people oversease believe China is undeveloped and so many other things... what did you think before you came here???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 03:11:22 |Display all floors

Well ...

Originally posted by divina at 15-5-2006 06:30 PM
China is undeveloped

Some of it is!

To be honest I had some ideas but the rampant smoking was more than I had expected ....
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 05:08:26 |Display all floors
some people (my friends!!!) ask me questions asthough China is as small as the Seychelles! They ask me if I see my countrymates all the time. I think there's only around 10 Seychelloises studying in China har har and none of them are here in Changchun...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 05:21:04 |Display all floors

It was what I expected and more.......

I would expect a country with more than 5000 years of cultural history to be fantastic but it was more than that......It was a blend of modern and ancient. Much forthought in how cities are being built with green zones.

It was like I came out of the dark ages into a modern society that kept much of the ancient memories.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 08:38:32 |Display all floors
I didn't really have any misconceptions.  I had studied Chinese geography, economy and a little history in college many years ago, and had read a moderate amount on economic, social, and political developments since then.  So, while not being any kind of expert, I was more informed than the average American.  However, I was not prepared for the extent of hustling vitality, the sense of change being everywhere, and the chaotic, dangerous traffic.  It was the difference between book learning and actually seeing it.

The other big impression was that I simply liked the country and its people more than I thought I would.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 11:05:52 |Display all floors
a good thread-------- i hope to know more how the foreigners thought of China before they witness China......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 17:15:27 |Display all floors

my first stop was xiamen.

it was so wet, plain and deserted.

then i proceed to beijing. the year was 1995. lots of constructions going on that i don't know where i am.

lots of people, and i spent 2 hours looking for a restaurant where they can understand what i want to eat. i found none till i got lost and cannot find my hotel anymore.

after  a day, i was in qingdao... and would stay there for the next 5 years. old city but with warm hearted people. lots of seafoods and plenty of laoshan and qingdao beer.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.