Views: 2543|Replies: 2

western culture invation ?! What do u think of that [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-15 22:15:17 |Display all floors
People  celebrate  valentines'  day, mother s day, christmas  and thanksgiving day  more and more in china,
esp the young.  But they ignore or pay less attention to Chinese traditional festivals like Duan Wu (端午节),mid- autumn day  . And in fact  those western festivals have bigger market than our native ones in China. I am just wondering why chinese people are so easily influences by other cultures even with  the deep and longlasting splendid  traditional heritage. It s sad to say this. We always say china has been keeping track with international footsteps , but we are achieving this at the cost of losing our own culture identity ? i am just want to
raise the awarness of   the young generation that we have got our own dignifying heritage , we are gonna get
proud of that . REMEMBER WE ARE CHINESE AND WE  STICK TO OUR TRADITION .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-15 22:54:30 |Display all floors

Like a phoenix

I can accept cultural communication with the West, like how the Chinese in Tang dynasty and and Ming dynasty would do, communicate with different culture with confidence, however not swarming to take their culture as our own, only the weak will be "invaded" easily, and only when there's blankness that other things will come to fill the blanks...that's what the traditional Chinese culture faces today,  the coldness, indifference and even reluctance out of misunderstanding to our traditonal culture directly results that the name of Dragon Boat Festival now belongs to Korea...
Since so many precious had been forgotten, so many elegant had lost, it's not strange that people mistakenly think kimono was invented by Japanese, while the so-called qipao is the Chinese costume, it's not strange that the heritage of our Han and Tang were carefully protected by the Japanese and now almost become a sign of Japan, not China. I don't care whether those foreigners know or not, they're just bystanders, however it's so sad there're still lots of our own Chinese live in numb, have no aware of themselves and their own culture.
In this way, maybe one day,  people will say Chinese characters are invented by the Japanese, and Chinese culture's under the influnce of Japan and Korea, and how about Chinese? Well, no they're just a bunch of  soulless and cultureless people who do not know how to cherish their own elegant culture and been forgotten in history and nothingness.

Btw do you have any idea of Hanfu and the reviving of traditional culture currently?
Google "Hanfu" or go to "汉网" take a look, from the ashes a fire shall be woken, there the phoenix flies again....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-15 23:30:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tangjiang8 at 2006-5-15 22:15
People  celebrate  valentines'  day, mother s day, christmas  and thanksgiving day  more and more in china,
esp the young.  But they ignore or pay less attention to Chinese traditional festivals  ...

I have the impression that "cultural invasion" is a two-way street. We have annual dragon boat races in many Canadian cities...tofu is everywhere...the way my caucasian friends eat tofu would definitely put me to shame.

Time will tell who is more influential.

I think ultimately, common people like myself would benifit from the cultural tides and the friendly tug-of-war.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.