Author: divina

Should Chinglish be encouraged or discouraged? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-26 00:24:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepunk at 2006-5-23 17:06
NO chinglish is not and will never be recognised by any world body and therfore is of no importance to the world ...

dear thepunk, what do you really want to tell us? each piece of chinglish, no matter how ridiculous it is, is and will be recognised by every world body?

this can be extremely confusing. here is another sentence with the same pattern as yours: NO word from the president of this international organisation is not and will never be listened to by any world body and therefore is of no importance to the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-26 15:09:40 |Display all floors

yeah chinlish sucks

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-5-26 15:13:22 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-22 18:50:06 |Display all floors

Reply #62 ptbptb's post

hey rovi297!

i see you are part of the crowd. i hope you and your fellow sidetracked friends realise that its not my english on the forum title here. If you really think my english is of a poor standard do say so because i got much to back that up and much more time too,so to all those who reply questioning or doubting my english i think you are all in the wrong forum. So people lets stick to the topic should chinglish be encouraged or not this is simple.

As for those arrogant minds you really need to be more mature than this, now people can we get some real comments here

thank you
THEPUNK

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-22 18:54:33 |Display all floors

NYLEDA HOW OLD ARE YOU?

I really wanna know how old u are because any grown person understands this kind of english maybe not punctually correct but grammatically correct, wht im saying is you will never here any organisation of this world using it and it won't be used in the future due to the fact that it is not a language any one single nation speaks as their mother tongue so i hope that clears u daft head out

jeez are they any people who know wat a forum is all about ?

thepunk

[ Last edited by thepunk at 2006-6-22 06:56 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-25 11:23:39 |Display all floors
Language evolves according to needs. Let's compare Quebec, India and China for instance.

Quebec:

The official language of government is French, and the government has an active policy in place to promote French and apply various incentives and punishments to ensure compliance with the province's language laws. English is a compulsory subject in schools, but sinse official government policy intends to limit it to extra-territorial or at to communication with native speakers of English only, the English officially tought in school is Canadian English, so as to allow the people of Quebec to communicate with English Canada. Franglais (the French equivalent of Chinglish) is actively discouraged and is viewd as a grave threat to the purity of the French language. Under such a a political climate, it is clear that Quebec could never establish its own form of English which would  ever be officially accepted. This is not to say that Franglais doesn't exist of course, but merely that it is viewed as bad English, undesirable for internal communication (sinse the language of internal communication is intended to be none other than French), and thus actively discouraged through various government mechanisms, which means that franglais is limited to purely personal, and not official, use.

India:

Unlike Quebec, which is predominantly French speaking and has a military history with the country from which English came, India, while possibly resenting its former colonial status, also found itself without a common language. English was thus beneficial to neutral inter-ethnic communication within India without the political hassles of one ethnic group feeling that the language of another is granted a special status over theirs, English being perceived as neutral between them within the nation's borders at least.

So sinse English was to serve the purpose of internal communication in India, it is obvious that to develop their own form of Indian English would be more cost effective than always trying to maintain a foreign form of English which, needless to say, would thus make India always dependent on foreign teachers, foreign textbooks, etc, which would be very expensive for an entire population of its size. So in some ways, India had no choice but to develop Indian English, which is now recognised by the Oxford dictionary and grammar alongside British, US, Canadian, Australian, NZ and other forems of English, probably due to general and widespread use in ffocialdom, government and Indian academia.

China:

The Chinese government's intended purpose for English language learning is NOT for internal communication (that's why all minority ethnic groups are expected to learn the language of the Han majority), but rather for extra-territorial communication. That's not to say of course that the intended purpose has been 100% successful, as some of us might have witnessed Cantonese and northerners, or Han and Uighurs resort to English for communication among compatriots on many occasions, just as sometimes occurs in Quebec with English when communicating with new immigrants, especially from English Asia. But regardless of the rate of success, it is still the intended objective of the policy. With this in mind, it is natural that the Chinese government would be opposed to recognising Chinglish in the school system sinse, just as is the case of franglais in Quebec, it could pose a threat to the already chosen intended language for internal communication. While such a system might make China more dependent on outside help, just as Quebec English teahers sometimes need to refer to the English of native speakers, it does serve the purpose of protecting the native language. As a result, Chinglish, unlike its Indian counterpart, is not granted any official recognition by government, officialdom or accademia, and just like franglais in Quebec, is simply viewed as bad English. This lack of official recognition of franglais and Chinglish, in contrast to official acknowledgement of Indian English, is what has resulted in the lack of recognition for franglais and Chinglish in the Oxford dictionary and grammar so far.

I believe that the only way Chinglish could ever come on its own in future would be if English continued to grow among China's ethnic minorites resulting in an increased use of English cor internal communication between, let's say, Guangdong, Northern China, Uighurs, etc. Then, just as is the case in India, perhaps the official recognition of Chinglish as an alternative to the Han language might become necessary. Only at that stage might Chinese English finally be able to stand on its own as an equal with British, American, and other Englishes as has happenned with Indian English.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-6-25 11:38:37 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.