Views: 60193|Replies: 102

Should Chinglish be encouraged or discouraged? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-13 02:34:41 |Display all floors
After reading more than one post from posters encouraging Chinglish... I just had to  post this and find out whoelse out there feels this way, who doesn't...

I STRONGLY discourage it... the way I do "SInglish" etc... what's next? Fraglish, Seyglish, etc...

So Americans speak Ameglish right?

No offense intended!

[ Last edited by divina at 2006-5-13 02:36 AM ]
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
45.00% (18)
55.00% (22)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-13 06:09:27 |Display all floors

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-13 14:45:31 |Display all floors

canadian45

You mean to say slang and dialects should also be discouraged?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-13 16:38:25 |Display all floors

i agree

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-13 17:47:00 |Display all floors
This is a very silly question. It's similar to asking "Should sunshine be encouraged or discouraged?"

Chinglish is not a process, or a policy, or an action, or, in fact, anything that can be either encouraged or discouraged!

Chinglish is a description. You can't "discourage" a description.

Chinglish describes English that reflects, in some way, the structures of Chinese that the speaker/writer is more familiar with.

"Welcome to take Beijing Taxi"
"Site prepared according to '3 services, 3 levellings'"
"Wish you happy every day"

etc. etc.

Chinglish in public signage, etc. should be reported to the appropriate authority, for no other reason other than that it is unclear.

Chinglish in student-type writing should be edited kindly but firmly. It is only by doing that you learn, and only by being corrected that you improve.

Chinglish in speech is a perfectly natural stage, but will gradually give way to more "native" English grammar as the learner becomes more proficient.

By all means "encourage" someone towards correct usage, but to name that process "discouraging Chinglish" is meaningless and possibly harmful to the learning process.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 10:56:11 |Display all floors

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 12:48:36 |Display all floors
Whether you dislike Chinglish or not, it was , is and will be there for a pretty long time, only if you are in China. And I wonder if some will have Japanlish in Japan and Singlish in Singapore?? Second language learning is not an easy process, the intra-language is insurmountable and unavoidable on a specific stage. Time, great patience, diligent work and smart approach may do help with the'weird' trend.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.