Views: 18285|Replies: 85

How many languages do yo speak? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-6 02:07:40 |Display all floors
and which languages you think are important?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-6 02:11:05 |Display all floors

Reply #1 shyboy83's post

Putonghua, Cantonese, English and Dutch. (little french and german)

In my opinion English and putonghua are the most important languages.

[ Last edited by kejiaxin at 2006-5-6 02:12 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-6 02:35:58 |Display all floors

lol

at the first glance, i thought u said "portuguese".

imo, mandarin and cantonese should be considered to be the same language.  cuz they both have the same grammatical rules and vocabulary. mandarin is the standardized chinese while cantonese is just one of the dialects.
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-6 02:51:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by kejiaxin at 2006-5-6 02:11
Putonghua, Cantonese, English and Dutch. (little french and german)

In my opinion English and putonghua are the most important languages.

You are dutch?
一心一意,一生一世

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-6 02:52:20 |Display all floors
Cantonese and Mandarin aren't the same, though. The way you pronounce them is different, some of the grammar is different, and the vocab isn't the same either. "Dialect" implies mutual intelligibility. A Cantonese person and a person from, say, Beijing could not sit down together and have a chat.

I speak English, putonghua, and some French. I used to speak more French, some Latin, and a few sentences of German. Chinese has taken over my brain, though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-6 02:54:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by theconfused at 2006-5-6 02:35
at the first glance, i thought u said "portuguese".

imo, mandarin and cantonese should be considered to be the same language.  cuz they both have the same grammatical rules and vocabu ...

Cantonese is a internationally recognized language...so it is not like wenzhouhua... fuzhouhua shanghaihua etc etc...
一心一意,一生一世

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-6 02:57:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-5-5 13:52
Cantonese and Mandarin aren't the same, though. The way you pronounce them is different, some of the grammar is different, and the vocab isn't the same either. "Dialect" implies mutual in ...

im not an expert in cantonese. but cantonese is chinese while mandarin is chinese too. if they were two different language, cantonese ppl wouldnt have been able to read the books or newspaper written in mandarin, vice versa. so i still say it's a dialect. chinese dialects are different from those of other languages.

*EDIT* speaking of intelligibility... the percentage of ppl who understand shanghainese is way lower than those who understand cantonese, considering that hongkong and guangdong are not the only provinces or places where ppl speak cantonese, then shall we say shanghainese is a language too?

[ Last edited by theconfused at 2006-5-5 02:03 PM ]
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.