Author: tmphgt

Tech-talk ... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-18 01:21:48 |Display all floors
ALSO...

You probably knew this wouldn't work, but I tried some maintenance things like cleaning the nozzles & turning the printer off from the pc. The pc thought it did the operations, the windows popped up saying "load 3 sheets of paper"..... ".... now complete, did the lines match up?"... etc.... but it was funny because the windows popped up immediately, there would be no time for it to do anything, LOL... the printer didn't make a sound. Not a wink. It is deaf to the computer. And the computer thinks it can hear it. They are both stupid. Or I am.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-18 21:09:40 |Display all floors

re; freaky

well, fine, if you don't want to trade pron collections that's your loss. ;-)  i have an SSH server set up just in case you change your mind!! ;-)

so yeah, have you tried shooting the printer yet?  i thinka  a 12-gauge should do the trick.  

so go to the device manager and get a screen shot ('ctrl+prt scr', paste into paint and 'save as' jpeg) so i can see if that damn printer is at least recognized bby windows.  be sure to expand the tree (+) where it's at too...this won't give any secretive info about your comp, so don't worry.  

i think i'll wait for that before going off on another tangent.  maybe for now also try to go to device manager and if you see the device try uninstalling the driver and then rebooting, then reinstalling it just for the sake of amusement.  get the sreen shot first though.

just so you know i had bought a USB CDRW in chinaland that worked on my ancient compaq (probably 1999-2000) and it worked like a champ.  the same CDRW would not work for some reason on a compaq that was significantly better/newer (say, 2003-2004) and i spent many beers on that SOB!  point is that for reasons which i'm obviously not sure it might not like your USB hardware and it's embedded software.  however, i'm not giving up yet.

try to go to the gateway website (i think i already gave the link??) and download the drivers called "chipset"....i know your co-worker said you don't need this, but for what it's worth, if i were there i'd DL it...i think i found your model a few days ago  too and there's a new chipset DL (i think it said januray of '06).  you probably have a windows install/installation CD older than that, so again, give that a whirl.

**when'd you buy this printer anyways?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-18 21:18:56 |Display all floors
when  reinstalling it (remember to reboot after unistalling before installing ti) shut off any virus/firewall/spyware software you might have.  it's a longshot, but we're running out of options at from me...12gauge is looking pretty good at this point.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-18 21:24:47 |Display all floors

go9d, see what this is doing to me!!?? ;-)

right click my computer > manage > System Tools > Event Viewer > System and on the right pane look for errors or exclamation for the printer and click on its properties for a description....the source might say printer/printer spool or something, nto really sure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-19 20:32:32 |Display all floors
Here's my screen shot.
I'm not sure what you wanted to see, so here's a few things. This is with the downloaded driver installed (though it'd all be the same if I used the driver that came with it), and the printer is plugged into the pc and turned on. I made the little bubble appear in the corner. If I unplug it from the USB, the one that says "unknown device" will disappear.

It seems like WIndows thinks it's talking to it. It thinks it's sending it messages, like to clean it & stuff, and it thinks it cleaned itself! But the printer never told windows it cleaned itself, why would windows think it was done cleaning itself? Doesn't the printer have to tell it?

Methinks my Windows has delusions of granduer.

I will now try that chipset stuff you mentioned. Oh, the other printer you see was my friend's. I'll remove it, but all the same things happened before it was put on, so I'm positive it's not interfering.

hold ON.... PICTURE PROBLEM, it's coming..... WOW that's really crappy here, but if you doubleclick the image it'll get bigger in a new window where you can zoom in & it'll be better. I didn't know we could do that. It looks fine in my photo program... weird. whatever. double click it.

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-11-19 08:42 PM ]
screen11-19.jpg
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-19 21:12:32 |Display all floors
I can see one thing already under ports it has a tick next to LPT1 and it does not show the usb port, it is trying to comunicate with your printer through the old centronics port instead of the usb port, the chipset drivers mike has sugested should fis this , then just uncheck LPT1 and select usb if it does not do it automaticaly.
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-19 21:25:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cyberspook at 11-19-2006 21:12
I can see one thing already under ports it has a tick next to LPT1 and it does not show the usb port, it is trying to comunicate with your printer through the old centronics port instead of the usb ...

yeah, just seen this and i don't have much time.  but, i'd try and see if u can choose the USB port and delete your freind's printer.  delete her printer first.  it shouldn't be on LPT1 if it's a USB fyi....totally different port.

you might have to add a new printer and choose the port and use the have disk button and choose the drivers from the extracted folder we discussed.  let us know how the chipset installation goes....if it chrshes ur computer and it no longer starts, call 1-800-cyberspook for further assistance...   

and, if all fails i'd remove/uninstall all the USB devices once more (mentioned in a previous post) and try to manually install (post #55).

[ Last edited by mikeghet at 2006-11-19 09:27 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.