Author: laoxianggg

金山词霸错误,请大家发现问题加在这里 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-15 09:45:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yannyh at 2007-1-14 23:40
没找到 carpricorn (金山词霸2005)

查《牛津高阶》南回归线为 the tropic of capricorn

sorry, it should be "the tropic of Capricorn".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-16 23:12:11 |Display all floors

社会命令

Establishment 有好几个意思,看看金山词霸如何解释其中一个:

Often Establishment An established social order, as:
常作 Establishment 已得到认可的命令:一个已经得到确定的社会命令,如

词霸把这个order 解释成了命令!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-18 09:17:47 |Display all floors
enjoying

thanks
I succeeded because I willed it, I never hesitated!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-25 09:52:42 |Display all floors

义演

词霸解释:义演
no benefit performance

其实应该是 benefit performance

因为这里的 benefit 是指为了他人(如,慈善机构)的benefit 而演出。

benefit performance -- Encyclopaedia Britannica- [ 翻譯此頁 ]In modern times a benefit performance is given by an actor, entertainer, or company of them to benefit a charitable organization, ... If you think a reference to this article on benefit performance will enhance your website, blog-post, ...
www.britannica.com/eb/article-9078584/benefit-performance - 46k - 頁庫存檔 - 類似網頁

In a benefit performance the performers (and, likely, the crew, director, holder of copyright, etc.) usually don't earn any money.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefit_performance

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 15:49:51 |Display all floors
Prevailed against great odds.
以绝对优势取胜

其实这句话的意思是在极端不利的情况下取胜;在几率很低的情况下取胜。可能是仅仅险胜,也可能是大胜,甚至有可能是以绝对优势取胜。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-23 21:17:51 |Display all floors
深棕色
nigger-brown

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/206073

Software blamed for couch label slur

Chinese-English translation error came from old dictionary, says Chinese computer company

Apr 23, 2007 04:30 AM
A software problem is to blame for a packing slip on a couch that read "nigger-brown," according to a manger at the Chinese computer company that provided the translation.

"We got the definition from a Chinese-English dictionary. We've been using the dictionary for 10 years. Maybe the dictionary was updated, but we probably didn't follow suit," said Huang Luoyi, a product manager for the Beijing-based Kingsoft Corp., which manufactures the translation software that produced the offensive description.

"I know this is a very bad word."

He explained that when the Chinese characters for "dark brown" are typed into an older version of the company's Chinese-English translation software, the word "nigger" comes up.

The description ended up on the packing label on a couch delivered to Toronto resident Doris Moore, whose 7-year-old daughter asked her what "nigger" meant. Moore, 30, is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation. Last week, she filed a report with the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of colour," Moore said last week. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

Romesh Vanaik, owner of Vanaik Furniture where Moore bought the sofa, said it has been a best-seller. He said he checked his stock but found no other couch with the offensive label.

"It's amazing. I've been here since 1972 and I never knew the meaning of this word," said Vanaik, a native of India.

Huang said Kingsoft has worked to correct the translation error. In the 2007 version, typing dark brown" in Chinese no longer results in a racial slur in English.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-23 21:22:23 |Display all floors

shen zongse / nigger-brown

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/206073

Software blamed for couch label slur

Chinese-English translation error came from old dictionary, says Chinese computer company

Apr 23, 2007 04:30 AM
A software problem is to blame for a packing slip on a couch that read "nigger-brown," according to a manger at the Chinese computer company that provided the translation.

"We got the definition from a Chinese-English dictionary. We've been using the dictionary for 10 years. Maybe the dictionary was updated, but we probably didn't follow suit," said Huang Luoyi, a product manager for the Beijing-based Kingsoft Corp., which manufactures the translation software that produced the offensive description.

"I know this is a very bad word."

He explained that when the Chinese characters for "dark brown" are typed into an older version of the company's Chinese-English translation software, the word "nigger" comes up.

The description ended up on the packing label on a couch delivered to Toronto resident Doris Moore, whose 7-year-old daughter asked her what "nigger" meant. Moore, 30, is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation. Last week, she filed a report with the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of colour," Moore said last week. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

Romesh Vanaik, owner of Vanaik Furniture where Moore bought the sofa, said it has been a best-seller. He said he checked his stock but found no other couch with the offensive label.

"It's amazing. I've been here since 1972 and I never knew the meaning of this word," said Vanaik, a native of India.

Huang said Kingsoft has worked to correct the translation error. In the 2007 version, typing dark brown" in Chinese no longer results in a racial slur in English.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.