Views: 1748|Replies: 6

What if our perceptions differ from other people's? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-27 23:39:19 |Display all floors
This topic was brought up elsewhere off topic, so i thought I'd try to give it its own thread. I will simplify the idea, and you can elaborate on it as you will.

How do we know if what we see or feel is the same as what someone else sees or feels?

For example, what if I see green where you see blue? What if every time I say "the sky is blue", you agree and say "yes the sky is blue" but really you are seeing what I call green? Is this possible?

And what about feelings? What if I am feeling jealousy, and I say "I am jealous of him! He won the lottery even though he already has enough money!" but really I am feeling anger. Could you know what I am really feeling or could we go along in life calling things by different names?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 23:55:55 |Display all floors
Wow this is a deep topic of conversation and its only the first day of the week!

People view reality in different ways and so yeah I guess you could have a situation where 2 people say they see blue but really someone sees something different.

I relation to feelings you can go with your gut feeling and often thats the right one to go with.  But some people are good at hiding what they truly feel and so could be living a lie and not for example really love the person they are with.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-28 00:03:06 |Display all floors

Maybe after all, there is a good reason

Originally posted by threebowls at 2006-3-27 23:39
This topic was brought up elsewhere off topic, so i thought I'd try to give it its own thread. I will simplify the idea, and you can elaborate on it as you will.

How do we know if what we see or ...

Maybe after all, there is a good reason to learn to tolerate the diversity of perceptions in human's brain...

we all see "things" differently and luckly overlapping does occure....

it might be helpful to look at this diversity from the statistical view point....the probability of views from others overlapped in a dynamic, fluid manner....

Further more, I am interested in finding out from other members what's their personal and favorite model(s) to view and undersatnd the theme of this posting.
:):

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-28 00:07:50 |Display all floors

One additional comment about my staement!

One additional comment about my staement!

"we all see "things" differently and luckly overlapping does occure"

Not precisely!:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-28 01:01:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by threebowls at 2006-3-27 10:39

How do we know if what we see or ...

haha i've thought of the same thing before.. yea i think it could happen. i mean we learn about this world from our five senses, but what if some of our senses are wrong themselves? how do u know if it's wrong or not if you've never experienced the right? it's just like what Mouse says in the Matrix: "Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish."
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-28 04:12:41 |Display all floors
What do you mean “what if?”

Human beings perceive information, process data, and conceive ideals differently as a rule rather than exception. Our perceptions and conceptions differ wildly from individual to individual. Some of the differences can be attributed to social/cultural factors, which can explain group or ethnic behavioral differences to some extend. Most of it, however, is simply a matter of personal differences. After all, ‘free will” of human beings makes us individuals with unique and some tines mutually incomprehensible sensory and analytical capabilities.
"扶摇万重兮,
放我麒麟冲荡。
清清渭水兮,
舞我手中霓裳。 "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-28 20:33:42 |Display all floors

people are different

Yes people are different, there is great diversity among them.
But there are certain rules few can overcome.
So that's why people are basically the same.
Boating on the Houhai River...在后海泛舟...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.