Views: 27812|Replies: 80

What's the end of English learning? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-20 19:36:25 |Display all floors
Dear fellows, most of us here have learnt English for many years. But have you seriously considered why you learn it? As a beginner in middle school, students try to learn it to pass the exams. And for me, an English teacher in middle school, English is a tool to do my work. And for some, English is an interest. But for most of us, what is the end of English learning, since we don't want to go abroad, and we can't be a translator or interpretor.
Let's have a free talk and show us your opinion.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-20 19:57:11 |Display all floors
In my life,I study English to pass the exams such as CET4,CET6 and then I'll use them to learn my major,
because my books are English,and the new find in the world is in English.If I want to study,Imust know
English.So I want to say,English is a tool for me to learn another thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-20 20:46:36 |Display all floors

You are lucy

If English becomes a too for you to learn new things, you are a lucky dog.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-20 21:02:37 |Display all floors
Maybe you are right,but you don't konw what we want to pay out.If we can't study english very well,we'll fall behind.For example,now I want to do a experiment which called '挑战杯',I want to find a mentor,and his first question is'do you pass cet6'.we're sophosome,and most of us just passed cet 4.So at last we lose the chance to do the experiment with the mentor.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-20 21:21:25 |Display all floors
If you must learn English to access knowledge, then does that not imply tht China is effectively promoting a society of linguistic haves and have-nots?  How is it that Chinese universities use English text books when it would be much less expensive (and democratic) to simply have the book translated into chinese rather than have the whole population learn English.

As Mahatma Gandhi once said:

"To give millions a knowledge of English is to enslave them."

And he was right.  China has effectively become a linguistic colony in that it is no longer capable of accessing knowledge otehr than through English.  Once this happens, the value of Chinese itself will drop (notice all the English words in English newspapers, such as "GDP", GNP, WTO, OK, etc. etc. etc.). University students might be able to understand such articles, but what about the average person on the street?  What about the fundamental HUMAN RIGHT TO ACCESS TO INFORMATION? The average newspaper is not for the elites (you have your own university publications for that) but for the general population.  If you can accept such anglicisms now, how many more English words will creep into the Chinese language in the next generation, until chinese just ends up looking like an english Pidgin language?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-20 22:00:42 |Display all floors
I'm sorry,my english is very poor,and I hope you can help me.
I study biology,now the level inside the country can't compare with outside.Maybe  the lastest discover is pulished  in 'BA' , 'nature' and so on.And in the world  more than 60% articles are published in english.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-21 14:38:36 |Display all floors

I quite agree with tianyuanedu

that's a good point! For the general population, they don't have access to the information.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.