Views: 31636|Replies: 68

India's Dalai Dilemma [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-17 13:11:21 |Display all floors
The Tibet and Dalai Question

Tibet is a tragedy of enormous proportions, India’s desire and motivations in providing shelter to the DL has many layers to it. We Indians see ourselves as the spiritual fountainhead of Buddhism, the Lord Gautama ( Historical Buddha ) was born in our ancient land we nurture his legacy in innumerable ways to this day . He as they say was the greatest among men that ever walked our sacred land. Buddhism traveled to China via Tibet, and this philosophy of life had profound influence on that land beyond the Himalayas …… that land (Tibet) shared from ancient times a symbiotic relationship with it’s spiritual mother India for philosophical nourishment and sustenance. Tibet looked to India as a guru to whom it was indebted for the greatest gift that ever was. So Tibet although not a vassal state to India was nonetheless intertwined to our nation in a spiritual embrace.

Now fast forward to the mid 1950s PLA Divisions enter Tibet and the Dalai Lama flees to India, now in such an event for India it was not a dilemma to support the DL , but rather how best we could provide solace to him and his beleaguered followers ……….it has been a tradition of my country to not refuse a person that seeks asylum , and in my country we have reverence and respect for holy men this being an ancient custom that we abide by to this day . So in the DLs case it was no different , clearly here we followed tradition without heeding to Chinese sensitivities and yet warned the spiritual master DL to desist from any overt or covert political activity within India’s national boundaries that are detrimental to China’s political well being. And he has since abided by that principled pledge that he undertook in 1959 with his hosts India, what he does or says on his visits to western nations is entirely his business as a free human being.

We unwittingly annoyed China by this singular action of ours and the consequence was the mistrust, which took root in our two nations budding relationship of camaraderie, we fought a brief border war and the bitterness struck. But one thing which intrigues me is that neither Chou En Lai nor any one among the Chinese leadership had raised the boundary question before the arrival of the DL in India prior to 1959, and then suddenly the visiting Indian Premier was shown faulty maps depicting Indian territory as Chinese. Why I ask was the timing of this affair matched with the DLs arrival?? The CIA had established contact with hotheads among the Tibetan refugees to wage a proxy war in Tibet against PLA troops, but India flatly differed from the Americans on this one and asked in no uncertain terms of the Americans to get lost and desist from using Indian territory against Chinese controlled Tibet. We have recognized Tibet as an integral part of China, and maintained our principle of not interfering in China’s internal affairs be they in Tibet or elsewhere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 13:46:20 |Display all floors

Don't Get Melodramatic On Us

We know exactly where our Indian friends come from.  We can see that you are taking in not only the "holy man" himself only and stuck him in one of your temples and let him fade away.  You went out of your way to let his entire team of traitors set up camp from which to strike at China.  India knows that it cannot beat China militarily, so it uses the underhanded alternative, and gave the jetsetting Dalai a base drom which to operate.  

That's O.K.  You can give and you can take.   How'd you like China's undying friendship with our Pakistani brothers?  Was it worrth it?  I guess only our Indian friends can tell.  To think that so much resources could have been directed to India's development instead.  

Well, our Indian friend, was harboring the traitor worth it?  You tell me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 18:49:17 |Display all floors

Which affinity is closer?

Travelling from east to west, from Szechuan to the Ti betan Autonomous Region, it is interesting to see the gradual change in  demography, where in between the two regions, one finds a large number of people, equally at ease in both Hanyu and the Ti betan language. The change is gradual too in the life stype of the people, and there is a good deal of intermarrying between the two nationalities, with both espousing the Buddhist religion, which is one better because it is not based on the caste system. Everyone is equal and one can marry the other without infringing religious principles. The relationship between the peoples is one of blood ties, with family members who combine the best of the two nationalities within themselves, and extremely pretty girls too, without the excessive shyness of their Han sisters.

One then comes to the huge ranges running West to East  that separate the Ti betan plateau from the plains of the south. The peoples living north and south of these ranges are totally different. There is not that gradual merger evident between Szechuan and the Ti betan Autonomous Region. To the north, live the Mongoloids, and to the south, the descendants of the once upon a time  Aryan conquerors, espousing a religion which is heavily based on caste, although I speak with tongue in cheek, not unrelated to in some ways to Bhudism.  There is no intermarrying at all and there is not the population that is equally at home in both Ti betan and the Indian languages, such as Hindi or whatever. Indeed, because they are vegetarians, the Hidus consider any meat eaters, which includes Ti btans, as canivorous and therefore filthy. I would not be surprised to see a poor Hindu Brahmin, working as a laundryman, throwing away his plate of rice, if the holi DL ever caste his holy shadow on the poor man's meal. So that is as much as affinity goes between the peoples north and south of the ranges.

Being a Buddhist, I was brought up to understand that Lord Buddha was born in Lhumbini, which is in Nepal. But I agree, he was an Indian prince of great wisdom, whose wise teachings have flourished in other countries but has sadly disappeared in his own.

[ Last edited by lobsang at 2006-3-17 11:32 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 14:47:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by masterkung at 2006-3-17 13:11
The Tibet and Dalai Question

Tibet is a tragedy of enormous proportions, India’s desire and motivations in providing shelter to the DL has many layers to it. We Indians see ourselves as the sp ...

masterkung,

I believe you learn your stories from your side. Nothing wrong about it. But it would be nice to learn the stories from other sides -- Singaporian, Chinese, Austrilian, Napple...

Here is a discussion two years ago in this forum. Some good information may help you to understand what was going on between India and China

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=43994&page=1

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 18:07:00 |Display all floors

Reply #3 lobsang's post

I understand disappeared due to the Mogul empire.

Do you have that details?
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-23 19:30:14 |Display all floors

Reply #5 caringhk

I understand that the last of Buddhism disappeared from India by the 13th Century, through absorption into the Hindu tradition, and through persecution by the Moghuls.
On absorption back into the Hindu tradition there is something of interest. It is the Newars of Nepal, who must have been Buddhists of Indian stock taking refuge in the mountain kingdom of Nepal during the time of the Moghuls. Although they have Buddhism as their religion, they actually practice a caste system of their own. It  probably represents a reabsorption process that is half complete.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-24 11:14:37 |Display all floors

Reply #6 lobsang's post

Thxs, now i get to know the extra part.

BTW, During Buddha's time, he could cover only Northern part of India.
The Central and Southern parts where also have a uge population are mainly Hindus.

Was the Moghuls Shah Jehan?(don't quite remember)
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.