Author: cloudyunzhu

whether nowdays education in university is out of joint with job [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-16 00:00:43 |Display all floors
I am firstly appreciated Cloudyunzhu in that she provided us with such a meaningful topic like that.

I am partly agreed iceseason when concerning the point "schooling is part of education, but not all". It should be that as an effective signal, at least to some extent, graduates with honored degree indicate advanced learning skills, logical thinking and good memory and, well educated---but it is not always the case. For those students with high marks but lack of know-how skills in the world of practice, schooling might play a misleading role as seperating the kids with the real society. Another evidence could be those seeking  "education shield" by dawdling with a higher degree, with the belief that the certificate should ensure a good job in the future. They all turn out to be wrong, colleges and books are not the right vechicles for ensuring success in future per se,  but one of the ways for cultivating your own shining advantages, and reconsidering what's the career target that might more suitable for your future.

However, the modern education system can not go without the schooling in collleges. The  basic knowledge in professional areas, methodology for analysing problems and research skills,  even the team work spirit and communication skills... all should be an invaluable treasure for our future. To shape the framework of your thinking, and how to explore the ways for tackling with difficulties and challenges ever happened in your early life, that's what the colleges should tell us, most importantly, at least and at most.

[ Last edited by little_007 at 2006-3-16 12:05 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 00:47:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cloudyunzhu at 2006-3-15 18:23
As the development of society, more and more students come into university to enhance education qualification.But  it shows some phenomenons that people in university get the courses which have no  ...

It is fine. Most of my colleagues, include myself, have no degrees on this industry but something else. Actually most multinationals encourage engineers to work on many different positions in order to understand the whole industry, not a tiny little thing in the entire picture.

I have changed my work position for times, and right now, the job I am working on has very little to nothing relates to what I had learned in college.

It is fine, we all learned basic engineering course in colleges, which is enough to support us to change our jobs to anything as long as it is still engineering.

It becomes more and more a problem in China state run companies that college graduates only get chance to work on very little thing because there are too many engineers already in the state run companies. So if you have a chance to work on something you have no idea yet, you are lucky.

[ Last edited by luf2004 at 2006-3-16 12:48 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 01:03:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by markwu at 2006-3-15 23:59
At one worldclass multinational where someone i once worked, there were botany and geology graduates who did software project management work, and there were computer science graduates who were doi ...

Mark,

It is quite a big problem in China, tile now.

The science and technologies have been built-up for centuries and still developing. So it is quite typical that, especially from recent 10 years, professionals keep work on the knowledge base which has been established by many people, also trace the technology new development. The information is mostly open to the public, what you need to do is pay few hundred dollars of membership fee to get an access code. The other way could be let a service company to teach you. Most service companies are willing to teach you if you are their client or potential client. Another option is, you could pay money to a man who has better knowledge than others.

This is quite common way to keep ourselves’ knowledge always updated, then be qualified in this industry.

But, in China, most companies do not even know these 3 ways, including most of the universities, they have no access to latest knowledge but keep playing old theories.

When I was in college, what I learned was 20-50 years older than the time, and when I started working in this industry, I found I wasted at least 2 years of my time in college.

It is not hard to get updated on the knowledge because most of the technologies are not secrete in present world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 08:24:05 |Display all floors

good points, luf2004

and that's why the government shuld escalate the matter for serious consideration - how to transform university and college education to be more globally-attuned and knowledge-centric in order to raise skills and understanding of global marketplace requirements, taking the best human resource and knowledge management practices from the world as benchmarks.

On the point that the knowledge base is available, i would like to add that what is important is content that is continually updated and refined.  If one puts in something and it doesn't get changed when what it was analysing has changed, then it becomes outdated;  this would happen when the person providing the analysis has not improved his analysis or lacks new skills and new data to create new works;  it can be a vicious cycle which reduces the value of even the biggest knowledge base. What i'm writing here about the analyst also applies to the lecturer/instructor.   I've access to almost all the best commercial knowledge bases in the western world and some of them have stopped business because their content lost relevance with their subscribers;  those that remain are because people continue to see applicable value in their content;  in some others again, their analytical content is very high, which can be applied by developing countries to sharpen their understanding of industries and companies in the capitalist world.  Apart from such business/commercial considerations, the scientific and technological content is very important and getting the latest for the lecturers as much the students should not be underrated.

The basic point here is that if knowledge is not renewed or refreshed, those dispensing it and those receiving it will not be able to get new or fresh views about how the world operates in order to evaluate technologies and methods imported from overseas, or to take part in what the rest of the world can offer.  

I am aware that the students have taken upon themselves to get the latest but their efforts are too spotty to make national impact.  It's something to think about - the refreshing of the knowledge base as a foundation to create a more knowledge-attuned society that use knowledge and information to change the ways things are done so as to increase productivity and competitiveness.

Secondly, the translation of the works needs to be studied - how to make that process more efficient.  We're talking here about millions of reports and articles, and thousands of books, manuals and lecture notes series in at least three or four major languages.  Lastly, the dissemination and study methods should be systematised.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 09:23:04 |Display all floors

This is an old discussion

But still worth commenting upon.

Is perhaps the most significant problem with education in China the fact that in far too many places "teachers" are there to tell their students what is "right" and what is "wrong"? I remember in past discussions the lack of input that was allowed from students in many subjects was raised time and time again. Certainly China won't be able to compete in the long-run if it just makes generation after generation of yes-men.

What do you think is the one thing that needs to change (as a priority), luf?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 14:09:26 |Display all floors
Yeah, the situation like mencius said has lasted a long time since we were endowed with seeking only one answer to every question by our teachers. But things always don’t go like what we learn from our school and the world we live is full of diversity and variety, we cannot judge anything by the word “right” or “wrong” or by our directional thinking. It leads to the result that we often waste one or two years after our university life to be suitable for the society. Does it mean, to some extent, that college is wasting some part of our life? Or is it necessary to spend so much time in school life as many job requirement can be fit after employees’ training?

Maybe we should provide some advices to nowadays teacher and semi-teacher on education method how to cultivate the students’ diversiform thinking and multiform skills.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-16 15:22:28 |Display all floors

I have the same feeling sometimes!

But we should not always rebuke the university and China’s educational system, there are some problems of ourselves .when we study in university, our subjects are about professional matters but after graduation most of the jobs we work for need not too much professional knowledge, and then many of the persons undergone high education will feel the subjects in the university are useless. But if you are engaged in the science research, the professional subjects will be very useful to you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.