Views: 29901|Replies: 43

why most Chinese prefer boy in China. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-15 11:29:26 |Display all floors
As most mankind, Chinese prefer a boy. As we know that male is more powerful than female.
Specially in countryside,boyes can help their families do more heavy works. In some area the society is not very stable ,less security. If a family have five or more mature males,it will be more security. At least no one will teast them.  
But if a family has only one male,it will in trouble. Even their neighbor will give them a lot of troubles!

Here is a true story happened on my family.
I am a Shanghainese. I live in Shanghai contryside,near hongqiao airport. My grand father moved from today's airport to present place. Our family was a stranger to this village. Some of them do not welcome this family. At that time,my grandfather have only 4girl and two little boy.
When my father,the elder boy, was only 15,my neighbor took several male relatives  ambuscaded him. They want kill him. Very lucky a truck passed and helped my father. My father nearly lost one of his eyes. May be u will ask why your neighbor did this. Because our house is close to theirs. They think we occupied their land.
When I was born,this situation changed a little. Because my father was the strongest in our area. And he is also an official member of this village. But I was still always be hurted by others in this village. Very luck,my father give me the power gene. Since I entered into middle school,no body can easily beat me. And I was also a good student.
So, some times we complain my grandfather why not move with our original neighbors ,or with original villager.  But lonely moved to a new place.

So,it is not strange why till now most people in China contryside prefer a boy. Even they already have one or more girls, they will try their best to procreate another child,no matter the one child policy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 12:06:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by goahead at 2006-3-15 11:29
As most mankind, Chinese prefer a boy. As we know that male is more powerful than female.
Specially in countryside,boyes can help their families do more heavy works. In some area the society is not very stable ,less security.

This is a historical phenomenon which has been seen in most cultures. In China there is the addition of the male-chauvinist teachings of 孔子 (君君臣臣父父子子).

The rest of the world doesn't have a preference for boys, and if there is a preference, it is for girls. This happens after the shift in primary industry from agriculture to industrialization and especially information society. Modern jobs that are not physcially demanding can of course be handled equally well between men and women, and since that is the case, the only thing left to consider is the cuteness factor of the kid. Girls are cuter, and also more easy to deal with.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 12:21:10 |Display all floors
Let's not forget that men carries down the family name while the girl takes in the mans name. Many families tend to look at this as quintessential to pass down the family name.  In most families today, girls are still perceived as 'second important' in the family. The traditional stereotype is deeply rooted within societies perception and it's going to take a while before any countercultural changes.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 13:10:36 |Display all floors
Though I did read somewhere that many urban families now agree a good daughter is better than a good son--she will take better care of the parents when they are older.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 16:35:30 |Display all floors
of course,things are changing. The culture is also changing.
Now in some city,in some area,some people prefer a girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 16:42:56 |Display all floors

To Goahead

Interesting story which I believe. Chinese people really have some strange ideas

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 17:07:15 |Display all floors

To ravni1

They are not strange ideas....they are 'different'.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.