Author: catbird

Do you dare to believe western media's reports on China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-5 21:39:55 |Display all floors

mencius mentioning of censorship in cd

i was trying to find a forum like this one in western media such as newsweek and time where you can engage in debate but you can find nothing . that is also censorship.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-12 19:48:46 |Display all floors

Of course not, it encourages us to believe the opposite

Unless the news presented with a neutral view, I'd tend to believe the opposite of their criticisms on China. Having lived long enough in Europe, I find it pretty tiring to get any truth for their reports on China, just like what Gerchin said, to find some truth or their motives behind, one has to read almost all of them.
What is more depressing, I notice many news on China presented in France and Germany sourced from translated versions from UK & US press. It 's worse to read the English section presented by these Europeans press such as Le Monde or Spigel, they extracted newspieces from New York Times, Telegraph, Washington Posts etc. for those European readers who're learning English or those English-speaking readers.

I agree with Gerchin that some journalists pay to get a staged coverage when there is nothing to report about, they'll exercise their imagination to produce such press liberty.

News below ( sorry, only in chinese text) sourced from JingHua(BeijingTimes), but reported in Singapore press
http://www.zaobao.com.sg/special ... /others060801h.html

shows that in Beijing, a Caucasian man dressed in Chinese millitary-style green suits, threw out 34 coins on the floor , coerced the public and an old Chinese man nearby who was collecting empty bottles to pick up those coins, then his two Caucasian accomplices started video filming at  5 m away. His acts angered the public and nearly received some punches from the furious public who in turn demanded them to return and pick up those coins. They did so and run away amid the furor.
One of the impressions this act gave to the writer was these white guys were trying to humiliate some chinese as poor beggars.
Unfortunately they weren't caught to expose their status, they could very well be those western crook journalists or bloggers who CREATE news for China.

[ Last edited by ficuss at 2006-8-12 08:04 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-13 02:11:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by reyquer at 5-8-2006 14:39
i was trying to find a forum like this one in western media such as newsweek and time where you can engage in debate but you can find nothing . that is also censorship.

I would have to disagree. An abscence of a means for you to express yourself isn't censorship. Media groups do not have an obligation to give you a forum to discuss things on. Besides there are other open forums in such countries where you can talk about what you want. Also blogs, etc. The issue is whether or not people can find somewhere to talk freely. In Europe and the US you certainly can.

Some newspapers now let you comment on articles. But others often have so much traffic that they would not be able to cope with an open forum. Here there are regulars, but not lots of them. Even so it's not that easy for the moderators here. And as it is an English forum, not so many Chinese will come here.

However in Europe people are far more political and so a similar forum would probably be overwhelmed with interest, especially with lots of angry and inappropriate comments.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-13 03:40:25 |Display all floors

"lots of angry and inappropriate comments. "

I give it to the mods here. Except for the occcasion name calling forum members, which are few,
the mods keep on top of it.

Repetitive name calling is always a sign...when someone is losing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-15 20:07:43 |Display all floors
Some newspapers now let you comment on articles. But others often have so much traffic that they would not be able to cope with an open forum.
=====================================================================================
Even BBC will only publish those comments hand picked by their editors. In the context of today's techonlgy, "so much traffic" is only an excuse. If talking about people on the web and the traffic that incur, which country can reach the level of China ? May be USA ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 13:52:21 |Display all floors

western media much more accurate

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 14:03:08 |Display all floors

western media accurate

how can they be accurate
when they always misses the news about china.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.