Author: catbird

Do you dare to believe western media's reports on China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-21 11:58:49 |Display all floors
The problem is not with western media, generally speaking. Just come to hong Kong and see what appears in the Hong Kong media, both Chinese and English versions. In fact Hong Kong newspapers like Apple Daily (Chinese) and South China Morning Post (English) have far more "bad" news on the mainland than any "western" newspapers I know of. Mainlanders don't seem to undertsand that 90% of news in the world media is negative/sensationalist. There are in fact far more negative stories about ythe USA in most western newspapers, than there is about China - and that includes American newspapers and tv. Is there also a conspiracy to "get" the USA?

Hong Kong newspapers are a good middle ground. I can read about abuses of Iraqi prisoners of war in Iraq, and the abuses of  Muslims and Tibetans in China. In that sense, they are pefectly fair.

But the fact that we are talking about this shows some progress in China - even though about 20-30% of my posts get erased by moderators here. That would not happen in a western media setting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-28 09:18:36 |Display all floors

every thing has its two sides

as we know, the western media has a more opaque survey and reserch,they always can see the happenings that our chinese can not see.but we also have the notion that some western coutries and the people there do have some prejudice against china and chinese people.thus their reports or comments are often out of china's practical situation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-21 21:50:22 |Display all floors

Western media continues to suck

Western media has and continues to be bias in their reporting of China.  The news, especially of U.S. media, is slanted and censored to the max.  This week China's Vice Defense minister Guo Boxiong visited and met with Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and President Bush, yet there is not a single article in the U.S. news about it, instead the news is about something of China delaying a trial on some dissent.  Distorted news coverage as such just fuels the perceptions of a U.S.-China relation which is stuck in cold war mentality.
(ie:  there is never any coverage of improvements in the relationship, just about how China needs to change in this or that way ...)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-22 00:20:10 |Display all floors
Interesting thread.

I'm an European, and I don't believe in western media at all.

1. the big ones are never independent, so they can not be objective. They always represent point of views of big industry and big banks. What a political party? Doesn't matter, cause they always would find any, which would act for them for big money. It's the basis of western "democracy". Western elections are a farce: Democrats or Republicans, Labour or Conservative, SPD, Greens or CDU? What a difference? No difference! Also Democrats, Conservatives and Greens in Germany  would attack Arab countries, and unconditionally support Israel, or taking care about "human rights" in China. So big newspapers, CNN, BBC and other TV-companies have only to replace the appropiate"placeholders" in their standard reports to be correct. That's all.
2. very small media companies, including a lot of quasi private websites, represent an opinion of small groups, sometimes even of a just one person, but to get the objective truth you have to read them all. A full time job, is nobody's thing. The big ones know it, so they don't care.

How they work? Two small examples:

1. about two months ago, a second biggest German TV payed school children for brutal fightings to produce a footage about riots at German schools.
2. one month ago, first German TV payed a Chinese peasant from Hubei province to encourage him to go court due to his problems with the local government.

How can an ordinary man, usually watching at most soccer on TV, judge the truthfulness of such reports?  No chance!  So he has to believe ...

[ Last edited by gerchin at 2006-7-22 12:25 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-30 19:17:08 |Display all floors

Ironic

Originally posted by idovodo at 2006-3-28 09:18
but we also have the notion that some western coutries and the people there do have some prejudice against china and chinese people

This is the myth perpetuated by the c*c*p in order to cultivate loyalty through anti-western sentiment. It's simply not true. Of course prejudice exists in all cultures in some individuals and is directed at all communities to some degree. Sadly, that's human nature. But the recurring argument that Chinese people are exploited or 'looked down upon' is utter nonsense in the modern world. Such sentiments are responsible for the often heard demands for apologies and reparations emanating from Beijing on account of historical grievances.

If the media in the West appears to err on the negative side in it's reporting of China-related news, it's only because they are concerned with communicating a more balanced view of what's happening in China than your own government is.  For example, when China builds the largest dam in the world, the state-controlled media focuses on the benefits of the project and downplays the environmental concerns and the corruption that has deprived local people of their rightful compensation. Western media have concentrated on the human and ecological impact the project may have on the region, as well as the impressive engineering.

How ironic that I should have to post my reply a second time having fallen foul of censorship. If you want the big picture, you can't rely on one source of information - that's just asking to be deceived.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 10:05:22 |Display all floors

Do I dare to believe western medias report on China

No, I dare not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-5 21:29:14 |Display all floors

do i believe western media about news on china

absolutely not
if what was written by time and newsweek in the past up to the present were
true , then china would not have become what it is today

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.