Author: catbird

Do you dare to believe western media's reports on China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-17 18:47:18 |Display all floors

No conspiracy

Originally posted by mengzhi at 17-3-2006 06:39

So there is a conspiracy permeating thorughout the whole Chinese news agency network whereby you are being watched and listened to all the time.

It's not a conspiracy, it's a formal part of the Chinese media. Reps from the "information ministry" have weekly meetings with the editors of leading newspapers, etc and tell them what they want focused on, what they want ignored, etc. Editors are fired and publications are suspended if they do something the State doesn't like. And they issue gags if something serious happens.

Or did you think that the Chinese media generally was spontaneously pro-government and pro-nationalist without any prodding?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-17 23:52:37 |Display all floors

thanks so much for the good laugh

Thanks "liangzai" for the humor your last provided for me and I'm sure others too.
"Most Chinese I know don't like Pizza Hut."  My friend, whom I excersise on bike
with, and I decided to change our routine a little bit last week.  We decided to ride
past all seven of the Pizza Hut restaurants that we know of in the downtown area
of the city we live in starting at 5 pm.  We rode up to the last of the seven at 6:45
pm.  In the longest line of the seven were 141 people waiting and the smallest
line waiting outside for a table was 58 people.  I sure would like to have a slice of
that pie (economically speaking that is)!

"Chinese really don't like sweets and chocolates"  Do you ever go in a
supermarket?  One of the largest sections (if not the largest) is the candy!  Do you
think it would be so big if they didn't sell "sweets and chocolates" to the Chinese?
What do you exactly know about marketing?

"Depression and unhappiness is a Western welfare disease"  You can really
believe that!  There is as much "depression and unhappiness" in China as there
is anywhere else in the world.  The Chinese just have it ingrained into them to
suppress their true feelings and not to express them publicly.  It is exactly the
same case as the incidence of homosexuality.  There is as much homosexuality
in China as there is anywhere else in the world but a large part is still "in the
closet" due to fear of repercussions and reprisals.

"Westerners tend to be happy only if they've made a million"  That is one of the
most ridiculous and shallow statements I have ever read!  Since the vast majority
of Westerners have never or will never make "a million" you are branding all
those people as being unhappy.  How utterly preposterous!  Americans (and
Westerners in general for that matter) are as happy with their families, jobs and
pasttimes as Chinese and probably more so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-18 01:51:32 |Display all floors

Pizzas and Chinese

Hi Overkill.

Sorry, but my observations tell me , that here Liangzai can be fairly close to what I see. In Chinese cities the McDonalds are places , which are besieged like they had the last food on Earth. I've never seen such quick dollars in other franchised McQuacks in other countries ,but the day of opening the first Quicky in Moscow.
On the other side, Pizza Huts are always accessible, sometimes even just empty. It is possible that more northern Chinese like pizza, while southerners prefer snakes, frogs,dogs, and other better food.
It is so difficul to say , what Chinese like and don't, like "what Euros like and don't"

Where did you see such crowds in Pizza Huts?In Beijing?
Andy Dob

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-18 03:30:10 |Display all floors

The British Fifth Columnist.

Originally posted by mencius at 2006-3-17 18:47

It's not a conspiracy, it's a formal part of the Chinese media. Reps from the "information ministry" have weekly meetings with the editors of leading newspapers, etc and tell them wha ...

Our resident know-it-all can't wait for Tek to justify his looney tune escapade , barging in himself to offer us his very own extension of the looney conspiracy theory. Those revelations of " secret " inside riding orders to Chinese journalists from the " information ministry " is a hoot. How did you manage to eavesdrop into those instructions then, may I ask ? Did they speak in the Queens English ? One would readily accept that editors have regular briefings as to the best method of work  to improve the quality of their ' product 'if possible. Does that not happen in the west ? To characterise a population expressing satisfaction and patriotism towards their government as somehow " managed " of " cajoled " is the very sort of condescending attitude that I alluded to repeatedly. Crowds of Chinese who turned out to protest against the Japanese because they are angry with their recalcitrant behaviour are " bussed in " and " instigated by the department ". The same thing, if happended in the UK, would be the " spontaneous " anger of the people.

No functioning society can allow the lack of rules or regulations. "Foxtel News " is where you can see the exact and daily instructions to their staff as to what they may or may not say for each and every day of their  working life. Dwell into that if conspiracy is your hobby horse. China will decide for herself what is good for her people. I am still very interested as to how you could be so influencial as to be privvy to all those inner info from the sanctum. I am green with envy and jealousy.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-18 03:47:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by overkill at 2006-3-17 23:52

We decided to ridepast all seven of the Pizza Hut restaurants that we know of in the downtown area
of the city we live in starting at 5 pm.  We rode up to the last of the seven at 6:45 pm.  In the longest line of the seven were 141 people waiting and the smallest line waiting outside for a table was 58 people.  I sure would like to have a slice of that pie (economically speaking that is)!

Yeah, I have seen and been in waiting lines too on 必胜客 on 淮海路 in Shanghai. Pizza Hut has some 40 restaurants in Shanghai, which is probably more than what the entire competititon has. But that is not enough for me, because Shanghai is so incredibly large. After 淮海路 I have to go to 四川北路 in 虹口 or to 徐汇. Where I live in Shanghai, there isn't a single Pizza Hut available, despite a population of a million; there is only 比萨林, a small pizza den of the kind that is seen on every street corner of the considerably smaller city in my home country.

Thus, my observation that MOST Chinese don't like pizza is valid; this doesn't mean that there are Chinese who don't like pizza; of course there are. But please do a comparison of 火锅 places with pizza places, and you will get a decent popularity comparison.

"Chinese really don't like sweets and chocolates"  Do you ever go in a supermarket?  One of the largest sections (if not the largest) is the candy!  Do you think it would be so big if they didn't sell "sweets and chocolates" to the Chinese? What do you exactly know about marketing?

Yeah, there are sections full of Dove, Toblerone and other chocolates (but not the kind of other candy you can buy in Europe), but few buy it. It is overpriced, and the Chinese in general don't like the sweet taste. SOME do, of course, but most prefer to eat their sun flower seeds, nuts and duck feet. I have never seen a Chinese friend buy chocolate.

What do I know about marketing? I know that Western companies don't know how to market in China. The absolutely mediocre ice cream Häagaen-Dasz is sold in China as some kind of luxury item, costing five times more than in the West, while 梦龙 (Magnum) is sold at a correct price level for the Chinese market. Obviously 梦龙 sells better than Häagaen-Dasz, and more importantly has a larger custom base. Custom base is crucial in China; it really isn't smart selling stuff expensively in China. That is why the Häagaen-Dasz restaurant on 淮海路 always is empty and no one buys their stuff in the stores. 梦龙 is quite successful, but is still much less popular than Chinese style ice creams (iced 绿豆 and other tastes that Westerners wouldn't like).

The staff in the local 华联超市 were very excited when someone bought their expensive Dove chocolate (5 yuan for a small bar), and who bought it? Me, a laowai! Unfortunately you can't find the really tasty milk chocolate in China. Not at all.

There is as much "depression and unhappiness" in China as there is anywhere else in the world.  The Chinese just have it ingrained into them to suppress their true feelings and not to express them publicly.  It is exactly the same case as the incidence of homosexuality.

No, these are not comparable. Homosexuality carries a stigma, depression doesn't. It is a general observation that people are happier in poorer countries, and that depression is a welfare disease. You don't see people in the West sing on the street, do you? If you do, you bet it is an immigrant who yet has to choke on his own emotions. What are the suicide rates in countries like Sweden and Japan? Compared to China?

[ Last edited by liangzai at 2006-3-18 03:51 AM ]
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-18 07:29:16 |Display all floors

Aww, meng's in a foul mood again

Originally posted by mengzhi at 17-3-2006 19:30

Those revelations of " secret " inside riding orders to Chinese journalists from the " information ministry " is a hoot. How did you manage to eavesdrop into those instructions then, may I ask ?

I could ask the same question as to how you know that the British and US observers "colluded" with the Israelis to raid that Palestinian jail. :)

But I must apologise, what I said was misleading. I should have said the executives of internet news sites. But they are still a part of the Chinese media - whether there is a similar policy for newspapers it didn't say.

http://tinyurl.com/9jdmw (end of page 2 - start of page 3)

Though I'm sure you'll dismiss it all the same because it's not coming from Xinhua

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-3-17 11:30 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-20 20:52:31 |Display all floors

there is one fundamental difference laying between the westen media and China's

the westen world is some how, sometimes be outspoken on things that do not matter, while  mostly, they are distorting China's everything, simply because it is concerning China, a country with so many things different from their countries!

so how dare i to have faith in it??

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.