Author: catbird

Do you dare to believe western media's reports on China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-15 00:09:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 14-3-2006 14:59
Reporters without Borders sounds like a combination of everything about Western civilization that's bad.

Yeah, an organisation that criticises the State attacking/prosecuting reporters for their views, censoring their reports, etc. Yes, I know China looks upon such criticism with disdain because it feels that it is justified in doing that, and thus would see it as bad.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-3-14 04:12 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 01:04:43 |Display all floors
I am happily ignorant of Reporters without Borders.

Doctors without Borders is already low on my list because it is an organization that acts very political while denying that it does.  It also works very diligently to gain positive media attention for its charitable works, which can sometimes be too slick.

Reporters without Borders sounds like an organization that seeks media attention for disputes between various governments that it finds unpopular.  The name of the organization makes it sound as if reporting news is as apolitical as providing medical attention.  Niether activity is non-political, but news reporting is far more political than medical care.

Your statements of cricism about China's government are self-disproving.  You are reading and posting them here, are you not?

The world would be such a better place if everyone would just act more American.  Or so the thinking goes.  Maybe we should drop big nuclear bombs on them until they renounce their murderous ways.

Death to the enemies of peace!

[ Last edited by matt605 at 2006-3-15 03:14 AM ]
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 01:12:14 |Display all floors

Do I dare to believe western medias report on China?

I don`t think the word "dare" is appropriate here, but......

I don`t believe them, but I don`t believe what the western media says about 9-11, Iraq, Israel, US, UK, or anything else really, they are totally unreliable and morally bankrupt.

[ Last edited by 666adrian at 2006-3-15 01:17 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 01:24:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 14-3-2006 17:04
Your statements of cricism about China's government are self-disproving.  You are reading and posting them here, are you not?

You know perfectly well that plenty of comments are deleted here. If it doesn't happen to you then it's rather obvious why given that your criticism is saved for the US more than anything. Fish had a thread in the Taiwanese section on unification through development of democracy on the mainland - that vanished without a trace. Many other topics or targets of criticism are off-limits.

Chinadaily may have got better, but it is still at a reasonably low level. The fact that we are never told where the line is gives the mods a lot of power and control - unless we want to waste hours of our time. We're rarely notified as to the fact our posts have been deleted, and I have never been told as to why they are deleted (in as far as specifics, what could be changed to make it ok, etc). Sometimes CD impresses me that they don't break up some discussions, but then they destroy that goodwill by deleting comments at other times.

Across China as a whole, censorship has been increasing not decreasing after a brief period of "opening up". What happened to Freezing Point is a recent example, as is the reaction of the Chinese media to that. Even leading members of the CCP have said there is too much cenorship in China:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0215/dailyUpdate.html

The world would be such a better place if everyone would just act more American.

And the world would be such a better place if everyone would just act more Chinese?

If you had bothered to read anything about RwB, you would know that they're criticial of the US media. Also RwB has nothing to do with the quality of media - only whether it is allowed to operate without being hounded for its views. It's very convenient of you to dismiss them, given that they heavily criticise countries like China. I'm sure that if another organisation had a table that reflected your views you would be parading it around here. RwB is the only international organisation of its kind. When you can find a credible alternative to it, please post it here.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-3-14 08:16 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 03:35:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by catbird at 2006-3-14 16:42

Do you dare to believe western media's reports on China?

Most of the time they are more believable than other sources, at least at a collective level among the serious papers and stations.

I could easily prove this for you, but not here and now.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 04:45:11 |Display all floors

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Do you dare to believe western media...

As someone has already pointed out, this is a slanted question. Nevertheless there is room for improvement in the western press, not only in the arena of Chinese stories. The intense pressure in the west for " scoops, exclusives and breaking news " is one related to the bottom-line economy ; making the fast bucks. The recent spate of plagarism and make-up stories have permeated into the more distinguished broadsheets like the Washington Post andNew Yorker.

Compounding this loosening of professional self regulation and dignity , reports on matters Chinese is often further compromised with an attitude. This is the manifestation of the age old colonialistic thinking ; " I know best even if I don't know the facts ". The undeclared superioristic, elitist and patronising persona and psyche which oozes  out of the skin like so many sweat droppings on a hot summer's day. For centuries, the old whitey has assumed that they know more about things Chinese than the Chinese even though they may not recognise a single word of the lingo. This is changing but in only a glacial way ; painfully slow. The rest are there acting and behaving like the proverbial village idiots.

This story detailed here shows par excellence how western journalists tend to jump to conclusions if the issue relates to China ( or the third world ). The fundamentals of good journalistic practices ; double check your source and cross check with other sources, interview persons or organisations concerned, take in a counter claim if necessary etc....are missing. The professionalism is tarnished. Pity.

I am still a supporter of the islands of excellence by reputable journalists ;eg Seymour Hirsch  who are not only professional but brave and conscienable. Three cheers for these noble ones.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-15 06:53:41 |Display all floors

Proof the Mods are biased....

...but not all the way biased.

You remember the thread..."The USA invented the Bird Flu Virus in China" ...or something
like that. It was up for days if not weeks. I complained in the thread that this was not fair
to the USA and if it was reversed it would not stand.

Needless to say, it remained up and others Western haters chimed in. Finally I posted an
new thread right underneath that thread - "The Chinese invented the bird flu in China." and
I gave valid reasons why.

Needless to say...both threads disappeared.

It seems that if the moderators could somehow exchange the word "Western" or "USA"
with "China" or "Chinese" we take the first step at a balanced forum.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.