Views: 8289|Replies: 14

What could NPC do for us? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-2 16:05:53 |Display all floors
The National People's Congress, China's lawmaking body, is to open its 10-day session on March 5. The agenda includes to discuss and approve the five-year economic plan, premier's ^^'s report and others.
Many people have high expectations on the deputies to find solutioins to such problems as high costs on education, medical service, housing and corruption.
How much could the lawmakers help bring down the costs?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-2 17:08:15 |Display all floors

Well

How much can they do themselves with the current system? Is this the only session for this month or what? Ten days isn't really long enough to debate or plan things. Most of what you see will come from the top - I don't think the NPC will be able to add much.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-2 21:40:55 |Display all floors
It's  a session once a year, and the npc standing committee meet regularly.

What I care most is how much they help narrow the rural-urban wealth gap and help cut down my spending on my kid's education.

I know how meagre the income of famers is, because my hometown is in the countryside and my brothers and sister live their. I know how dearly I have to pay for my kid's schooling.

A 10-day session is short, and I do hope their voices could be heard and their suggestions could be taken serious by the government policy makers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-3 20:04:37 |Display all floors

System needs to be changed

It needs to become more of a 'Parliament' that sits on multiple occassions for much longer sessions, can initiate its own legislation without approval of the Politburo, etc. But of course that's not going to happen
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-3 20:41:26 |Display all floors
In my opinion, the National People's Congress makes a lot of reforms every year though it cannot give
everyone of our country a satisfied answer. It is nearly impossible in other countries, I think.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-3 21:48:44 |Display all floors
nothing at all, to be frank .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-4 13:42:44 |Display all floors

Reply #6 vkookv's post

Man, don't be too pessimistic, there will be some changes, hopefully for the better.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.