Views: 6804|Replies: 18

what is the meaning of "half-decent" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-25 16:02:29 |Display all floors
请问half-decent 什么意思啊?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-26 04:46:50 |Display all floors
It is usually complimentary eg  "that was a half decent movie we saw last night."

"isn't half bad"  has a similar meaning

Tony

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-26 05:22:00 |Display all floors

Not something I usually use...

It's not exactly "standard English" is it?? I don't think I've heard it much either- but then again I've never lived in English peaking countries so...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-26 05:58:46 |Display all floors

I agree with Tony - and more...

I've heard it a lot in the US. It's very casual, and means what post#2 said, "not half bad", or "it's ok".

It can also be used as a way to ask for something better.
EXAMPLES:
Your boots are poorly made, and are coming apart - "Next time I'll spring for a half-decent pair" - means next time you'll spend more money on a better pair rather than buying a cheap pair.

You go into a mattress store - "Can I get a half-decent mattress?" The salesperson will show you mid-level or higher ones, not cheap ones.

In a liquor store - "Do you have any half decent wine?" The clerk will help you choose a mid-priced or higher bottle of wine.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-26 06:48:46 |Display all floors
well, I might have heard it... but is it more colloquial??

"Next time I'll spring for a half-decent pair" - sounds colloquial.. "spring" and "half-decent"..

I think is sounds like slang... predominantly used by native speakers the US.. Just like the word "fit"... we all know what it means but in British slang it means something like "she/he is hot" I googled it and there was no meaning of "half-decent". In my case, I try not to use words which are not in the dictionary.. simply because I might misuse them and it wouldn't look too good if ever I wish to publish a book...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-26 09:55:33 |Display all floors

Thank you all!

Many thanks to all of you.
谢谢楼上各位的点拨!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-26 17:45:26 |Display all floors
"I googled it and there was no meaning of "half-decent"."

May not have produced a meaning as such because google returns usage of an expression and googling "half decent" would return huge numbers of examples of how it is used and from these examples it is usually possible to get a good idea of what it means.

The use of slang or idiomatic english is what sets the different "types" of English speakers apart.  You can easily tell those whose first language is not English by their non-use or wrong use of slang and idioms -- and you can pick one native speaker from another, sometimes down to two towns only a short distance apart.

Considerate native speakers will try and limit use of these "non-standard" expressions when communicating with others, but because to them, these expressions are really their "standard English", it is impossible to stop them creeping in, sometimes to the extent that the conversation becomes almosy unintelligible to others.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.