Views: 11637|Replies: 19

Does Chinese like to flaunt their success/status? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-17 23:26:26 |Display all floors
I need some insights into some Chinese behaviours. Does Chinese like to flaunt their success/status? If yes how are they doing that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 07:34:54 |Display all floors
Modesty is a Chinese virtue on the personal level. Nationalistic bragging is a creed on the national level.

For example, a professor who would come up with a revolutionary scientific theory would probably just smile, wave it off with his hand and say "nali!".

On the other hand, if the Chinese modify Russian space tech a bit and shoot it up in orbit, they go on forever talking about the miracle done with "self-made" stuff.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 10:17:20 |Display all floors
some upstarts will

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 12:59:08 |Display all floors

some do, but not all...

Life goes on!!!!!!!  ----  I am what I am!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 15:48:57 |Display all floors
thanks so far..
what i see for example (please correct me if am wrong) that urban chinese people desire to buy a big 3 box sedan car to  flaunt their success...and it seems that more and more people are able and wanting to buy a Louis Vuitton, Prada, etc..
i'm not saying that all chinese are like that, but i see that more and more people have those intentions to show off, to be proud of themselves

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-11 19:15:44 |Display all floors

more subtle

I think to a certain extend some do.They do it in very subtle ways,I think.They do not really put it out there,right in your face.I can appreciate that.

Then again ,maybe it depends mostly on the individual.
Cheers~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-11 19:57:31 |Display all floors
Yes.... subtle ways. Buying expensive label clothes for five thousand yuan each week and at the same time not turning on the A/C in the winter, now that's subtle.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.