Views: 4215|Replies: 15

who can inform me about chinese table manners [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2006-2-17 19:08:44 |Display all floors
I want to know how should somebody behave at the table in china.I will stay in Beijing and I want to behave like a chinese and not like a western.Do I have to use chopsticks?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-17 19:44:10 |Display all floors

of course.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-17 22:45:35 |Display all floors

give you two rules

1. don't start before other. wait until all begin to start or the host ask you to start
2. if others toast to you, his or her cup knock on yours with voice, that mean both of you will drink bottoms up!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 00:17:31 |Display all floors

when toasting

When you clink glasses toasting, you glass should go lower, i.e. the lip of your glass should touch the middle of  your opposite number's glass. I hope you know what I mean. Its a sign of your humility. Not many people from outside China know this.
Also, when someone has his fore arm stretched out to pick up a dish with his chopsticks at the far end of the table, do not cross your fore arm over his to pick up some other dish at the far end to you. Again I hope you know what I mean.

Traditional families teach their children not to chat at the dinner table, but I suppose you are on business or on a visit, so this rule might not be observed stringently, and I am myself surprised that this tradition has been broken left, right and centre. Some might not even know that this tradition exists.

When you use the tooth pick at the dinner table, cover your mouth with the other hand.

When you use your spoon to ladle soup from the common big bowl to your own small bowl, do not ladle more than three times.

When there is some dish on the table that you really like, do not go at it repeatedly with your chop sticks, give others a chance. Spread out your choice evenly.

Eat more rice and less dishes; the latter is meant to help you down your rice, which by itself can be very bland.

There must be more my mother taught me, but its been a long time ago and memory fades.

I hope you are not left handed. Our left handers would have been trained in childhood to use their right hand, at the dinner table at least.

Have a nice time

[ Last edited by lobsang at 2006-2-18 12:40 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2006-2-18 06:48:01 |Display all floors

xiexie ni

I am really grateful to you for your useful advice.I had no idea about all these things.No I am not lefthanded
but I have a problem using the chopsticks.
I tasted some  chinese food in a traditional restaurant in Athens and it was really  very delicious.
Although I was enthusiastic about it and enjoyed my meal then after that I had a very strange taste
in my stomache.Do you think that I will have a problem with the food concerning my health?What should I be careful of?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 11:09:52 |Display all floors

Reply #4 lobsang's post

Gee, never knew there is so much protocol .... as a Chinese myself.

Anyway, I am a very civil, considerate and well-mannered person so, perhaps, it never occured to me that my manners will be offensive.

Have a toast!

redwine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 11:12:18 |Display all floors
Well, Chinese food sometimes is a little bit oily, then you'd better not have too much such kind of things.
Have more vegetables. It will perhaps make you feel better.

If you find it difficult to use chopsticks, you may not choose to use them. I think it's ok.

Hope that you'll have a good time with your Chinese friends. :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.