Author: chinadaily

New photos of Abu Ghraib abuse surface [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-19 08:59:36 |Display all floors

You can run but you cannot hide !

I agree with Matt completely. The White House and Pentagon are the instigators of these horrendous practices. They have managed to exempt the USA from all international protocol and laws and now claim that they have not violated any of them.! !  Psychological and mental torture like smearing of ' menstrual blood ' on Muslim prisoners is taboo and unconscienable. The use of painful restraints , heat and cold extremes , electrical shocks , cigarette butt burns and hooded intimidations are all forms of torture. Up till now the world associated such misdeeds more with the " killing fields " of Pol Pot than the US. From now on, these will be the hallmark of the Yankee troops. I agree that the vast majority of the coalition troops do not do such brutal things, but hey buddy, we are all judged by the worst examples in our ranks, not necessarily the best. Dubya has always taken pride about events happening " on my watch ". Let the world see how he is to deal with these misconduct done under the full glare of " his watch ".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 13:30:41 |Display all floors

Come on boys...

Chris- "Before the abuse at Abu Ghraib happened, the White House issued a memo that
said Geneva Conventions prohibiting torture did not apply to detainees, and it is
detainees who are shown being abused and tortured."

You are stretching this for the forum...show your source.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 19:54:40 |Display all floors

Reply #37 iluv2fish's post

I don't have a "source" when I say the White House sanctioned
the abuse including the sexual abuse which must have killed
many Americans in  revenge attacks by mentally scarred Iraqis;

However, I know the American army probably better than
most in this forum as I worked  for  Warner Kasern
US Army and also US army Berlin.

The rankos are all sacred to disobey army rules, more
scared  than you would imagine .A ranko would never stretch
torture to sexual abuse without orders . They came
from the White House and you
know which group of  people rule the White House.

This also applies to all ranks from Sec of Defence
down.The US army is not "free enterprise" it is
controlled from the top like all armies

I admit there is no media article proving the White
House sanctioned the abuse .I also think the question
demanding "proof" is stupid .

[ Last edited by christopher_104 at 2006-2-19 07:59 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 20:04:38 |Display all floors
2fish, it's a well known fact.

My name isn't Chris, and it is a well known fact that the White House classified Iraqis as "detainees" in order to avoid Geneva treaties that America has signed to prohibit the mistreatment of "prisoners of war".  We also call the Gitmo prisoners "enemy combatants" in order to escape both the treaties that regulate torture and American courts too.

Chris- "Before the abuse at Abu Ghraib happened, the White House issued a memo that
said Geneva Conventions prohibiting torture did not apply to detainees, and it is
detainees who are shown being abused and tortured."

You are stretching this for the forum...show your source.

The "stretching" is actually being done by you, 2fish, and the torturers in Iraq.  It's also a stretch to say that there's no public support for it.  Many Americans feel that torture is a good way to gain intelligence about the insurgency in Iraq.  That view is shared by many, many people in the USA military.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 20:15:44 |Display all floors

Reply #39 matt605's post

I agree , fish was talking to me because he knows deep down the
abuse came from the White House,

It is also highly probable that the photos are just "the tip of a very dirty
Iceberg". Again because taking such photos poses a great risk
to the photographer  which may result in jail  and  military charges.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-19 20:46:36 |Display all floors
Yes, I would guess there are many more photos.

There are more photos and some video footage too.  There was a full CD-ROM of photos and moving images that were revealed in Spring 2004 of the Abu Ghraib abuses.

Someday, I guess we'll see them all, but I've also seen enough too.

I guess the soldiers found the bomb-making factory they were looking for, but the fallout from the Abu Ghraib prison abuse story has fuelled a much larger insurgency.  So in total, it is a huge loss to the American war effort in Iraq.

Torture, if it works at all, works only in the very immediate future, and it is a short-sighted tactic.

I have heard that during WW2, officers never had to worry about torturing captured soldiers for battlefield intelligence.  The enlisted men who took prisoners would beat and/or kill any POW that didn't talk and talk a lot before ever returning him to the rear.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-20 23:33:44 |Display all floors

Reply #41 matt605's post

I would guess there is much more abuse

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.