Views: 9127|Replies: 29

a proper gift for a chinese family [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-9 03:54:20 |Display all floors
I am going to visit one falily in China and I would like to know what kind of gift I should give them.Can it be clothes for the husband and wife or things for the house?I come from Europe.I need a piece of advice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 04:23:43 |Display all floors

Knowledge of the family helps

They probably have a lot of clothes -- maybe even the latest European styles, but perhaps in some off-brand copy. [grin]

Flowers are nice.

Something uniquely from your homeland is nice.

Some kind of a little dust collector for a shelf is always a thing -- at least fer the women.

Don't bring any kind of a clock for a gift!

I think there are some books available about traveling in China that could help you with a lot of these questions -- you really ought to stop by your local bookstore and pick up one or two.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 04:56:55 |Display all floors

hey eightyeight.

What about decoration things like silver or crystal.I do not want to look stingy because I am not and they do not deserve that

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 05:31:01 |Display all floors

hermmm

Well, I usually rely on others to help me with what is appropriate. Mostly I deal with individuals on a business basis for dinner and the like, if I am the guest I might bring a bottle of wine.

If you are visiting a host family for the first time, you might consider a red envelope with cash -- everyone likes that.

If you are travelling with gifts, like the other forumite suggested, you might consider the weight! I think jewellery can be a cool gift.

Chinese women would probably enjoy crystal, if you can package it well enough.

Otherwise, consider this thought in your gift: the Chinese are very practical people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 05:40:36 |Display all floors

for eightyeight

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 05:43:10 |Display all floors

for eightyeight

thanks for your suggestion.My chinese teacher told me not to buy a belt or a shirt for the man because there is going to be some misunderstanding.Do you agree?
He also said that they never wear perfumes.and that they never decorate their houses.My God what a headache for me.are you a chinese by the way?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-9 06:05:40 |Display all floors

No...88 is American....

...but he was saved by the Chinese. We are lucky he is still around.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.