Views: 10079|Replies: 45

How to deal with irratating people on the bus [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-8 13:00:16 |Display all floors
I was wondering if somebody could provide me with advice.  Yesterday I was on the bus.  As per usual, it was pretty packed and I was pressed against a seat with no room to move.  That's China, fair enough.  However, an oldish looking woman tried to get past me.  I physically couldn't move any further in and she started elbowing me in the back.  I swore a few times in English but clearly she either didn't understand or was Ignoring me as she kept on doing it, eventuallyending up with me pushed right over the woman on the seat.

I know that if I behaved like that on a bus, it wouldn't be acceptable.  Is there a Chinese phrase equivalent to "Give it a break" that I could use if similar situations ever occur?

Also, I got on a small, semi-legal bus the other day and attracted a lot of attention.  I live in a fairly rural area and many people haven't seen a foreigner before, again fair enough.  Three women though looked at me then had a conversation where every second word was "lao wai".  Any suggestions for making it clear that you know when someone is talking about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 13:14:39 |Display all floors

say hi to them

those situations on the bus are really normal in china, especially where there are a lot of ppl taking bus. also in the underground, train...just the same. the only way for you is to get used to it. or dont take buses.

and my suggestion to you to handle the situation that someone talking about you is to say hi to them. in this way, you show your friendliness, they will know that you know they are talking about you. it may make them feel a little embarrassed, but i guess they will stop talking immediately.
Life goes on!!!!!!!  ----  I am what I am!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 13:47:02 |Display all floors
Harriet.  Cheers for the idea I may try that.

About the elbowing, I know it's quite common on busses and I have pretty much gotten used to it.  This lady though was just out of her mind and frankly elbowing me in the small of my back was both painful & useless.  99% of the time I can cope but the 1% of times, like yesterday, I feel like I need to say something.

I know that if I as a foreigner elbowed Chinese out of the way, people would say something back to me!

[ Last edited by funky_dunc at 2006-2-8 01:48 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 15:03:19 |Display all floors
How to deal with irritating people on the bus:  let your chicken loose to poop on them.

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D1

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 16:37:59 |Display all floors

dont elbow them back when they do it to you

if you do so, they will do it back to you, but in a worse way...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 16:55:04 |Display all floors

Well ...

An MP3 player should put you in your own world on the bus ....

I once elbowed about 5 people out of my way in one fell swoop ... That was after the person who was in the way ignored my gentle nudge to get pass and exit the bus ...
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-8 17:00:58 |Display all floors

oh, yeah, mp3

it works all the time. i cant go out without it...

help you to ignore those crazy ppl...

and the loud sound of metal rock will keep some of those ppl away from you...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.