Author: tianyuanedu

Should China ban smoking in public places where minors might be present? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-18 09:05:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pinko7 at 2006-2-16 19:40
i was thinking more along the lines of a "den" where many smokers could sit together and relax

Oh, you mean we don't have agreement?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-18 13:27:09 |Display all floors
many reserches discover that smoking is ill to your health, that is to say ,if you are a smoker,it is easyer for you to get some diseases  ,such as lung cancer and coronary heard disease,but it is not mean you would get  it affirmatively.in the other word ,i f you are a nonsmoker,you may also have the chance to have lung cancer,sorry i just say possible,not affirmative,so many people would not to give it up,the above i say  is just express my idea that i would no t  obliogy others to cut out smoking,unless you are a patient now,such as diabetes or others,but it  not mean i would agree with the man to smoke in  public
smoking is harmful to himself and others as the same ,you can be not care of  yourself ,but remmeber not to disturb others' no smoking life,i think
so i think china should ban smoking in all the public places  ,not only where minors might be present:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-24 22:33:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by linfangv at 18-2-2006 05:27
so i think china should ban smoking in all the public places  ,not only where minors might be present

Well said! I think the government should do all it can to limit and restrict this practice - I'm really glad we're going to restrict smoking in public places from next year.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-25 10:32:30 |Display all floors

Definitely

I can't take smoking for a minute! I can't take anyone smoking within the distance that I can detect...whole disgusting..even if it's those so-called "fragrant cigarettes for women"...
So many chimneys around you everyday, when they usually smoke without requesting your permission. I hate it with a passion...but anyway, it doesn't sound practical, unless carry out more specific and useful rules

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-3 12:23:33 |Display all floors

Smoking bans

Paraphrasing myself from the other smoking thread: Banning advertising and selling tobacco products to children is the first step. The Chinese government is unlikely to ban smoking in public places when so many people still want to smoke. Governments ban things when they are on the decline anyway. Telling people smoking will give them lung cancer one day will not stop them. If people are educated to associate smoking with being unsexy, uncool and unattractive then they will stop. People don't care if they die young as long as they are popular with the opposite sex.

Smokers are more likely to suffer from bad breath, impotence and lower fertility than non-smokers. Get that message across and people will not want to smoke so much. Also smokers catch colds and other respiratory diseases more easily, then they cough more and pass those diseases on to more people. Somehow these ideas need to be introduced to popular culture. TV needs to show smokers as unattractive; for example in TV dramas the attractive hero never smokes but the ugly, failure guy does smoke. That kind of psychology really does work.

The hotel in China I like to stay in used to have non-smoking floors but now all the rooms are for smoking and they don't smell nice like they used to. It means that businesses like my hotel are going to protest any ban on smoking because they will lose money, selling cigarettes.

In the UK they are banning smoking in enclosed public places. Now all the smokers are out in the street, blowing smoke in people's faces and on their children. I hope the Chinese government is cleverer than the UK's and if it ever has a ban it makes it a full ban.

There seems to be so much smoking in China, smoking taxi drivers, those who smoke in lifts (next to the no-smoking sign), those who can eat and smoke at the same time, and even pilots who can smoke and fly a Boeing 737 at the same time. I thought if I live in China I just have to hold my breath and put up with it. I think it is nice to read that many Chinese people are sick of smoking and want a change.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-15 11:29:16 |Display all floors

of coz

always be OK
always be Great

Use magic tools Report

crazyazn has been deleted
Post time 2006-6-20 12:12:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.