Views: 1774|Replies: 5

an easy question [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-3 22:01:44 |Display all floors
You don't have to be afraid of SARS.
or
You don't need to be afraid of SARS.
Are both ok, or any difference?

ps: Does "make one's way to" imply "walk on foot"?

[ Last edited by hiy2004 at 2006-2-3 10:35 PM ]
理解=>表达=》润色
understanding+expressing+polishing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 22:13:23 |Display all floors

yeah

they are both ok. I think.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 22:30:49 |Display all floors
Yep, both of them are correct.

In regard to your last question, I would generally assume yes.  Here's my reason.  If a person says, "I'm going to make my way to", he is likely to be close to his destination.  For example, "I'm going to make my way to the teacher's office", the person will almost certainly walk because driving (or any other means of transporation) would be too much for such a simple travelling distance.  A person in Chicago is not likely to say "I'm going to make my way to New York"... unless perhaps he wants to emphasize that it's going to be a slow, stop-and-go journey there.  So yeah, that saying generally involves walking.  But that doesn't mean it HAS to be walking.  A person could "make his way to the library" and take his bike.

I don't think "make my way to" is used too much though.  It seems like the only time I would say it is if I was talking to a person and I really wanted to end the conversation so that I could go to where I needed to go... I don't know, maybe I use it more than I think, but it just doesn't seem that I do.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 22:54:02 |Display all floors
Re: Does "make one's way to" imply "walk on foot"?

Maybe yes originally, but the meaning has been so extended that the emphasis in apparently more on the end result than on the process or means - especially when figuratively used.

E.g.

1) Gemora was a short (5-foot-5”) Filipino American who somehow made his way to Hollywood in the 1920s ...

2) Nevertheless, the book made its way to Hollywood, ...

3) How the Pill Made Its Way to Japan

4) When television made its way to American homes in the 1950’s, ...

Can you imagine how all these things WALK all the way to their respective destinations?  We don't really care how they finally ended up, do we?

:)

[ Last edited by tumujerome at 2006-2-3 09:55 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-3 23:24:30 |Display all floors
是的,我也发现了这个现象;)
动词+one's way to ...

the girl flirts her way into hollywood.?
cheat one's way to a higher position?
boast one's way to..........?

bai_zilong 讲的很对.完全同意:

[ Last edited by hiy2004 at 2006-2-3 11:25 PM ]
理解=>表达=》润色
understanding+expressing+polishing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-4 07:57:57 |Display all floors
hiy2004, tumu's is even more enlightening, IMHO

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.