Views: 15474|Replies: 32

IN THE TRADITIONAL CHINESE FAMILY WHO'S BIRTHDAY IS MOST IMPORTANT? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-6 03:54:25 |Display all floors
Elder? Children? Father? Mother?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 04:42:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by spiritrace at 2006-1-5 22:54
Elder? Children? Father? Mother?

Let me tried to recall...

Elder or Children?

When a baby was born, its b'day became the CELEBRITY for the whole family, until he/she reaches 18,, during which, there're might be some main celebrations depending on the customs observed by the different people.

Then, defined by your key word "family", there would be no more key celebrations in the family for him/her.

But don't worry, there will be big celebrations for he/she when he/she reaches the age of  50, 60, 70, EIGHTY...

Father or Mother?

mmm... traditionally, in the old society or in the rural area, Father.  But in the modern society, Mother.

This is probably because of the fact that, in the old society or in the rual area now, man(father) is the bread feeder for the family.  While in the modern society, woman9mother) plays the equal role in the family.

But:

Ladies are getting more and more attention now.  Boys, fiances and hubbies are trying their best to remember their  girls', fiancees' and wifies' b'days, otherwise they will know the consequence...

[ Last edited by afri_simba at 2006-1-5 11:44 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 07:48:54 |Display all floors

OK, now things are making sense.....

I turned 61 today and my Chinese wife really made a big deal of it.... Now I understand. Iprefer to keep it quiet. So I better cooperate. Thanks.

I'd like to hear some more opinions. In a couple weeks my wife has her birthday
and our 13 year old Chinese daughter turns 14..... Any ideas for traditional gifts for them?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 10:42:29 |Display all floors

suggestion, gifts for your wife and daughter

Jewelry /cosmetic  and roses for you wife, toys/clothes and cake for your daughter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 11:55:47 |Display all floors

eldest

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 13:08:21 |Display all floors

Good, I will make a double chocolate cake for both of them.

They love cake and they love chocolate.

Gifts.I discovered that my wife is pickey about cosmetics. Jewlery is a good start.

Hmmm would it be out of line if I bought her a new boat motor? Hah, just joking. I need another motor for one of my boats.

Daughter does like clothes. Maybe I can team up with my wife on that one. They shop together and I go wait outside. Too painful for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-6 13:42:54 |Display all floors

Reply #3 spiritrace's post

I think the oldest gets the most importance.

100 yrs, Spirit that's yr target. And you meet Buddha's time for living a DAY is his world.

I think GOLD is good present. V valuable and appreciated by chinese.
SO is JADE.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.