Speak, speak and speak
listen, listen and listen

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 19:44:41 |Display all floors
make efforts!:)
To err is human, to forgive, divine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 20:03:04 |Display all floors
Many successful English learners agree that reading authentic articles is the best way to improve one's command of English. Reading is good for your language health, as some gurus put it.

Simply read, anything and everything, forget what you had learned about grammar, put your Chinese-English dictionary away (replace it with an English-English one or simply nothing), soak up that language and weave them together whenever chances arise for you to use English.

Remember: make sure your high-quality input = high-quality output. Your chances of success depend largely on how well you can make in use your daily input.

Good luck!
Steven Lee living in Dalian~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-3 23:00:05 |Display all floors

have a look

if your in shanghai why not have a look at living in shanghai and english teacher... lol, had to advertise myself a little here!!!

i agree with most of the people above, practice makes perfect = read a variety of subjects, watch movies in english speak english with your friends but make sure you are having fun, you wont learn much if the books you read are boring, the films you watch dont interest you and you dont talk about enjoyable topics with your friends!

good luck,

inspired

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-4 07:01:42 |Display all floors
I'm learning Chinese and that's the third time I've heard to put away your bilingual dictionary and only use one frm the language you're learning. At what point can we do this? I'm definitely not ready, but how do we know when we are?

zrl0920 - Welcome! Just keep reading! And listening, and writing, etc... just like everyone else said. If you feel bored of it, pick something more interesting to read even if it still very easy. I bought a Chinese joke book. The problem is, it is a little annoying to take so much time to translate a joke, only to find it wasn't a funny one!

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-4 07:59:43 |Display all floors

To Freakyqi

Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-1-4 07:01
I'm learning Chinese and that's the third time I've heard to put away your bilingual dictionary and only use one frm the language you're learning. At what point can we do this? I'm definitely not r ...

You raised a very good question about the use of language dictionaries and language learning, Frieakyqi.

A bilingual dictionary is very useful even to the most advanced language learners. There are always things that probably only a bilingual dictionary can clearly illustrate. Say, "sparrow" to a Chinese learner of English, an illustration of 麻雀 would certainly make way more sense than the following explanation: Any of varioous small Old Eorld finchlike birds of the genius passer and related genera ( family Ploceidae; esp. the house sparrow.)  (from Shorter Oxford) So don't feel bad if you feel you have to rely on a bilingual Chinese-English dictionary at this point in your Chinese learning.

One thing worth mentioning: English being such an international language, its study and research as well as its teaching has been unprecedentedly exhaustive. Hence there are available a huge range of ESL dictionaries aimed for learners of different levels and sophistications. Therefore it is easier to encourage an English language learner to try a relevant unilingual English-English dictionary at an early stage. Unfortunately it is not quite so as yet with Chinese. The Chinese dictionary you have is most probably one meant NOT for foreign learners of Chinese but for Chinese native speakers. It's a shame. Let's hope things will soon improve to make it easier for Foreigners to learn Chinese.

I noticed somewhere on CD you responded to a question about distinguishing English Countable/Uncountable nouns. Luckily, an English learner has easy access to a great selection of excellent ESL dictionaries that give you all the detailed descriptions about such distinctions. Dictionaries like Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (OALD) and Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (LDCE) are among the best that have benefited millions of English learners. I, for one, have learned so much since the earliest first edition of OALD (by A.S. Hornby, published in 1948.) Now I'm still using the 6th edition. Its 7th edition was just released in late 2005 and I'll soon acquire a desk copy for myself. It's great fun to see how language items are illustrated from a language learner's perspective! I wish you could someday enjoy having a collection of Chinese-Chinese CSL dictionaries as I do with E-E dictionaries. But even now, I still consult my collection of the English-Chinese dictionaries.

For sure what Steven referred to in his post was the type of ESL dictionaries I mentioned above. He may sound a little extreme, but the idea was innocent and positive.

What have I mumbled? Bilingual dictionaries and unilingual dictionaries should and can  complement each other. Keep using whatever you feel comfortable with. In time you will have growing confidence in using some Chinese-Chinese dictionaries.

Good luck.

[ Last edited by tumujerome at 2006-1-4 09:35 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.