Author: zrl0920

hi,here i am new,how can i improve my english? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-4 08:20:57 |Display all floors
You are a beginning student, you must use a Chinese-English dictionary. You'll know yourself when you're good enough to use a Chinese dictionary because you'll be able to understand the definitions.

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-1-4 13:27:18 |Display all floors

Tumu. great essay indeed!

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-4 13:40:07 |Display all floors
As you are a beginner, we don't know too much about you. So it is hard to give too many opinions. The way to learn English depends on you and your current English ability.

Why not tell me or us more about yourself, then there will be more professional suggestions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-5 02:04:49 |Display all floors
Thanks tumu - I didn't realize there was such a difference between Chinese & English dictionaries. I appreciate your lengthy response, it was very helpful. :)

onepastyoung - yes, that's a very good point. I should notice for myself if I understand the Chinese definitions! I can see looking up a word that's in the definition now & then, but at this point I'd spend all day looking up the words in a definition, then looking up the words in THOSE definitions, then the words in THOSE definitions... maybe that'd be interesting for a day, in fact maybe I'll try it and see how long before I go crazy.

At this point I am DEFINITELY a beginner. I am not ready for a Chinese-only dictionary. I know the equivalent of about a year's worth of a college level language class. I am also studying on my own with children's books, newspapers, tv (can hardly understand anything, it's too fast!) and my favorite book right now is my book of 214 radicals, presented in the order they'd be in in the kangxi (sp?) dictionary. Each page has one character with a written description of the origin of it (as best they can), a few examples of how it is found with some other words, the proper stroke order (with the 9 square box - what's that called?) and the character as it evolved from its older known form, seal script, etc, until the current form.

I love that book. Learning the origin of a word or word-part is extremely helpful to me. Some people say "oh you don't need to know all that!". Maybe I don't NEED to, and practically speaking, maybe I could better spend my time learning more vocabulary or listening & speaking, but I know how I learn, and I have already seen that knowing some basics and  word origins is helpful for the future.

I like practicing characters, I have a pad of graph paper I'm slowly filling... it's easy to forget them, but knowing their roots or at least associating it with a picture helps me remember words. I'm no good at memorizing, but if I fully understand something, or use it in real life, I'll remember it better.

Do Chinese children practice a character over & over hundreds of times? How do they learn hanzi?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-5 05:20:56 |Display all floors
Do not learn the characters independently of context; if you do I guarantee you'll forget most of them. The best way is to read text and when you find an interesting sentence structure or use of the character just write the sentence out.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.