Views: 3140|Replies: 5

China reveals report on violence in South. How do you think? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-12 09:23:55 |Display all floors
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/eng ... /content_502385.htm

[ Last edited by circlept at 2005-12-12 11:35 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-12 11:40:41 |Display all floors

Well, well well...

China Daily and by extension the government finally decided to report this news.
It seems to me this report differs from the many international reports that have been available for the past few days.
China needs to be more prompt and forthcoming with information and news.
China's presence on the world's stage means she will be under increasing scrutiny as are all the "major"
countries.
When news and information is suppresed it looks bad.
We have seen only recently such news stories as the Harbin disaster and bird flu as well as this one subject
to less than honest reporting.
I don't think China has anything to fear by being honest and upfront.
In fact I think more respect would be accorded to this great country.
Why do I care?
I live here and I really like it.
I want to see China strong and respected.
One of the first steps would be to face the facts and report them diligently.
Not doing so gives China a black eye in the eyes of the world.
This I do not want to see.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-12 13:22:34 |Display all floors

From the nytimes.com

December 10, 2005
Villagers Tell of Lethal Attack by Chinese Forces on Protesters
By HOWARD W. FRENCH
SHANWEI, China, Dec. 10 — Four days after a lethal assault on protesters by paramilitary forces, a village in southern China remained under heavy police lockdown on Saturday.

Residents of the village, Dongzhou, interviewed by telephone from this nearby city, said the police continued to make arrests and bar outsiders from their hamlet.

The authorities have still not commented in any detail on the incident, in which villagers said as many as 20 residents of Dongzhou were shot and killed by security forces on Tuesday night as they protested plans for a power plant, in the deadliest use of force by Chinese authorities against ordinary citizens since the && e in ++. Residents of Dongzhou said at least 42 people were missing.

Reached by telephone, the deputy propaganda chief of Shanwei, which is 15 miles to the north and has jurisdiction over the village, said the national government would issue its first statement about the incident no later than Sunday. “We will soon have a response to this, very soon — no later than tomorrow,” said the official, Liu Jingmao. “By then, this thing will be made public in the mainstream media and within the province.” Asked what he meant by “this thing,” the official cut short the conversation, saying: “I can’t say now. Anyway, it will be very soon, no later than tomorrow. That’s it.”

Later, a local television bulletin here said that three people had been killed in Dongzhou, and eight injured, describing them as “criminals” and giving no other details. This was the first known mention of the violence in China’s state-controlled media, and Beijing’s silence on the events underscored the vulnerability of a system that still practices heavy censorship in an age when sources of information beyond the government’s control are readily available.

In recent months, the Chinese government has been increasingly preoccupied with stemming thousands of demonstrations against corrupt local governments and pollution and over land-use issues. Most have taken place in rural areas and villages, far from the public eye. Dongzhou, however, is close to Hong Kong, whose television signals reach here easily, and news of the killings has spread rapidly, despite the officially imposed silence in Chinese media. In the last 24 hours, Chinese language Web sites have carried abundant reports on the killings, often picked up from foreign news outlets, and commented upon them endlessly and often angrily.

Dongzhou’s villagers, with little hesitation and much outrage, recounted more details of the events in numerous telephone calls on Saturday. Still, most asked not to be identified. Many said the authorities’ brutality against the demonstrators warranted comparison to the Japanese occupiers of the last century, and to Chinese Nationalist Army of Chiang Kai-shek.

Their accounts suggested a range of possible casualties. They identified four dead villagers, three of whom they said were taken to a local clinic, and said the fourth body was taken to a hospital in Shanwei. But they also spoke with conviction about other casualties, though often with sketchier details. Some insisted they had seen other bodies, and others spoke of large numbers of people unaccounted for.

“I was not at the scene that night, but after I heard some people were shot dead, I went to the clinic and saw three dead bodies there,” said a man who gave his name only as Chang. “The next day, I heard there were several bodies lying by the road, where tragedy took place. I went there and saw seven or eight bodies lying there in a row, surrounded by many policemen, who were denying the families’ attempts to claiming for the bodies.”

Numerous accounts said that the authorities had thrown corpses into the sea and burned bodies after the killings. Villagers said they had counted 13 bodies floating on the sea.

Villagers also said that several times over the last few days, female residents had approached the police, who are still present in Dongzhou in large numbers, to beg that the bodies of relatives be released.

Others said that people had quickly buried the bodies of their relatives so they could not be destroyed by the police to cover up evidence of the killings.

“I heard that they police had sent dead bodies to Haifeng to be cremated there,” said a man who gave his name as Li, and said he had been at the scene of the shootings. “Some corpses were just burned in the crossroads of the village, but not allowing people to get close to see.”

In another reported episode, six unarmed men from the village fled the violence, climbing a nearby hilltop, where they were pursued by the police and shot, leaving only one survivor, whose account was repeated by villagers on Saturday. Some of the dead, the account said, were wounded from afar and then killed by the police at close range.

“That person saw with his own eyes that five people were killed,” said a man who said he had heard the account firsthand from the survivor, who was wounded in the leg. This was one of several accounts in which villagers said security forces had shot and wounded people.

The confrontation on Tuesday was the culmination of months of tension over the construction of a coal-fired power plant. Villagers said they had not been adequately compensated for the use of their land — less than $3 per family, one said — and feared pollution from the plant would destroy their livelihood as fishermen. The plans called for the village’s bay to be reclaimed with landfill. “Shanwei’s deputy party secretary said that he wanted to trample Dongzhou into a flat land,” said a village resident who gave her name as Jiang, and spoke with anger at the heavy-handed manner of the authorities before the outbreak of violence. “He said we’re just like a small hole in the ground.”

Municipal officials here have been circulating the area, blaming the villagers for initiating the violence. They said that the villagers used fireworks, blasting caps and other small explosives, and that they had rejected a generous settlement for the use of the land.

“I’m a good friend of Dongzhou people,” one party official said by megaphone as he toured the village on Saturday. “Nobody wants to see anything like what happened here on the night of Dec. 6, but the people of this village are too barbaric. We were forced to open fire.”

A 16-year-old boy who said he was in the crowd when the police began to fire said: “We didn’t use explosives, because we were too far away. Someone may have tried, but there’s no way we could have reached them. These were homemade weapons, and when they started shooting, we didn’t have a chance.’’

[ Last edited by chinadaily at 2005-12-12 10:04 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-12 13:26:40 |Display all floors

From the Guardian UK

Chinese paramilitary chief held after village killings

· 'Wrong actions' admitted in tackling land riot
· Several dead and injured after officers open fire

Jonathan Watts in Hong Kong
Monday December 12, 2005
The Guardian

Chinese authorities admitted yesterday that paramilitary forces had shot dead protesting villagers last week, and said the commander involved had been arrested.
The arrest came five days after a riot in Dongzhou, a coastal village in southern China, that was put down with the most lethal force known to have been used by officials since the ++ Beijing $$.

Witnesses said up to 20 people had died in Dongzhou, while officials put the death toll in single figures. The Guangdong provincial government said the paramilitary commander had committed fatal errors. "His wrong actions caused deaths and injuries," it said in a statement. "Investigative organs have taken the step of detaining him according to law."

The name and rank of the officer were not disclosed, nor were there any details of charges. But the public admission that a senior official used excessive force to restore order is a politically significant step towards accountability.
It may also indicate a clash between different levels of government. The Guangdong announcement contradicted an earlier statement by the authorities in nearby Shanwei town, who blamed the riot and its consequences on protest leaders.

Local villages have been protesting for weeks against the construction of a coal-fired power plant, which they say is being built on communal land for which they have not been adequately compensated. In the first official acknowledgement of the incident, the Shanwei authority said police had been forced to shoot because the demonstrators had attacked them.

"Over 170 armed villagers attacked with knives, steel spears, sticks, dynamite powder, bottles filled with petrol and fishing detonators," it said. "Police were forced to open fire in alarm. In the chaos, three villagers died, eight were injured with three of them fatally injured."

It was unclear whether this meant three or six people had died.

A statement by the local government said the killings would be investigated, but rather than blame the officers who pulled the trigger or gave the order to fire, it accused three local men of stirring up unrest, adding: "They must shoulder the legal responsibility for what happened."

The report, which was carried by the state-run Xinhua news agency, made no mention of claims by villagers that up to 20 people were killed, some of whom were said to have been chased and executed. Locals quoted in the Hong Kong and foreign media said bodies were left in the street and in the sea. Shots were reported many hours after the initial clash.

Since the incident, Dongzhou has been under police curfew, with locals being warned not to leave their homes. Officials have put up posters and relayed loudspeaker slogans seeking to reassure locals with messages such as "People's armed police are for the people" and "Trust the authorities to handle this correctly".

Earlier, villagers hung up banners appealing to the central government to investigate their complaints against local officials. These were reportedly torn down.

"We were terrified. We all stayed inside," a farmer named Chen told the Associated Press news agency. "Even now, we all stay indoors after it gets dark."

At the Shanwei People's hospital, an injured man who was interviewed by a Hong Kong television station after the riot has been placed in police custody. Family members are not allowed to visit him,

According to the South China Morning Post newspaper in Hong Kong, local officials have visited the families of the victims and offered 2,000 yuan (about £140) in condolence money. This was seen as an attempt to hush up the killings.

Although the level of violence is unusual, protests over land and pollution have become increasingly common in China, and officials are struggling to cope.

The handling of such protests has highlighted a contradiction between Beijing's aims of promoting a harmonious society and the tendency of local authorities to seize land for development, cover up wrongdoing and clamp down ruthlessly on any threat to their authority.

[ Last edited by chinadaily at 2005-12-12 10:05 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-13 13:56:32 |Display all floors

Now this is a serious problem needing scrutiny!

Let me put in my 2 cents.

First
(1) Villager living in a "land of the forefathers"
(2) Big Bad RICH COMPANY forfeits land..without adequate compensation.
(3) Big Bad RICH COMPANY builts dirty - smoke, dust, destroys the enviroment...villagers wish the electricity plant is builts somewhere else...

SOUNDS FAMILIAR rite! to Malayans, Americans, Europeans.....

then
(a) Villagers puts up protest..
(b) Send delegations to protest...
(c) Try to alert the press....but got censored
(d) Do road blocks, prevents work......

the Local government..send in the goons...
(i) threatens the people
(ii) talk about national good...drop their demands (but local people see rich Mandarins driving expensive Audi..while they have to give up their rights......)

see, people..looks bad..rite!!!!!

My suggestion....give villagers SHARES in the power plant....

power plant builts new housing for the villager......

power plant gives jobs to the villager......

and the trouble dissipates......yet the RICH POWER COMPANY...say "to hell to the minions"...ie. like in Singapore...waste energy and time....just send in the para military force....we owned them anyway!!!!!

yeah........Guangdong Power Mandarins....you got to wake up lar!!!!!! Those minions are "flesh and blood" just like you....we got to do something for them!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents

fm
Green Dragon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-13 15:25:36 |Display all floors
Chinese police must learn to be professional in coping with violent scenes and maintaining order without causing bloodshed. Putting on your aramoured protection gear, using more tear gas cannisters, water cannons, batons, in stead of real firepower. Because the life of a human being is precious, and never re-gained when lost. I agree with most writers here that the chief instigators, rightleaders must be arrested and investigated, and a court trial should be made public to all people in China. If anybody found out to have breaken the law, he should be punished.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.