Views: 7146|Replies: 8

do you think we still have sexual discrimination within society? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-9 21:14:34 |Display all floors
Well, theoretically speaking, men and women should be equal. In practice, it is not the case. In one hand, for instance, in china’s job market, you can easily find the hard truth: male graduates are easier to find jobs than female students. What are the obstacle for the women to gain equal opportunity with men in modern society? In other hand, the society holds more expectations for the male, and men should take more responsibility for family and society. This is another kind of inequality.
If you are a girl, are you willing to be a housewife for your husband’s career development, provided that you have no financial problem?
If you had a second life, would you like to be a women/men?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-10 07:50:22 |Display all floors

alas

you bet there is.
If I were to live again, I still wanna be a man.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 10:22:28 |Display all floors

Serious social problem, silly question?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 12:41:58 |Display all floors
yes
"扶摇万重兮,
放我麒麟冲荡。
清清渭水兮,
舞我手中霓裳。 "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-13 15:01:50 |Display all floors
I don't think there is a single place on earth where there isn't such discrimination, to some degree. Scandinavian countries are probably the most modern in this sense.

The Chinese discrimination doesn't lie within the legal framework, but in cultural tradition. I know a few cases where females could simply go to the court to win their rights, but if they did they would be disrespected and abandoned by their relatives. Social bonds are very complicated in China, and there is no way you can eliminate this thinking in a short time. Much of the turbulent chaos in the young PRC was all about eliminating such "fengjian" ideas, to little avail.

But things ARE changing, albeit slowly. If you look back 100 years, the changes are enormous.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-16 06:08:19 |Display all floors

Gender inequality still exists in Canada....Canadian government

has been working pretty hard to resolve this social issue....moving forward slowly....we all know equality will not happen overnight....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-19 13:20:54 |Display all floors

I do think there still is sexual discrimination within society.
But it is not so serious as before.
We are more equal between men and women now.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.